Thread: Super wide angle camcorder

Default Super wide angle camcorder

Hi everyone

I'm after some advice re. which camcorder to buy which has a super wide angle lens available.

I currently use a 5 year old Fuji SLR type digital camera with 640 x 480 30fps video and sound recording capability for videoing bathrooms and around houses in general. I have a 0.18 fisheye lens on the standard lens which gives meabout 160 deg viewing angle. The video look as if you are viewing it through a round keyhole so I zoom in before recording to crop this to the standard rectangular shape.

This camera has become a little tired and I would ideally like something I can strap to a headband or a shoulder harness to give me both hands free for taking measurements while using it.

I supppose I'm looking to spend about 300 - 400 in total. It's purely for business use so no high end quality or features are required. I'm just finding it hard to find something that has a super wide angle lens available.

Any advise / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for reading this.

Laurence

Blog Entries

If you're not really interested in quality per se, you can attach a cheapo wide anlgle lens to pretty much any camcorder with a threaded front lens front. Have a look on ebay for some cheap wide angle lenses. Quality won't be anything to write home about, but you can pick them up for less than 50, and combine them with a cheap AVCHD camera.

Blog Entries

Have a look at the GoPro range. They have a wide-angle 170 degree lens and aren't too expensive.

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

I'm not sure about the quality for what you're doing though, I've not used one myself.

Blog Entries

I was going to suggest this, but they're not the greatest in low light conditions. The images look fab on a bright, sunny day, but tend to be somewhat washed out indoors (in my experience of a few sample shots when I first got the unit - in fact I was dissapointed with the quality until I took it outside!). They're also pretty small, so you'd probably need a monopod to mount it on, plus the tripd attachment (unless you strapped it to your head).