Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Film (starting my Dog as the main character)

Default Short Film (starting my Dog as the main character)

Hey guys, I was testing some new video equipment, and decided to make a short film of my dog and his obsession with squirrels

It was a blast so I'm definitely going to be doing more

Feedback?

Great concept and you could develop.

You do have some dodgy colour correction needed to be done. This is very easily achieved in Vegas.

You've got some editing hiccups I'd like to see remedied. Nothing serious, but in my opininon would make the piece flow better.

Things that had me mentally clapping were the low level smoooooth trackin, nice, and Jawa Field Zoom Track effect! Great stuff.

What jib/dolly did you use?

Grazie

I liked it but I love all animal movies. You have some great camera work and some rubbish camera work. The colour, white balance or what ever the problem was is an issue with some shots and there where some over exposed shots. This was mixed with some really good shots like the focus pull, nice dolly shots, very well executed dolly zoom (or what ever it's called). You showed you can put a piece together with a good narrative and the end cries out for a sequel. The music was well mixed and fitted well.

One tip for you at 1:53 when you do the cut it is noticeable that the sun has moved. So, do the cut just after the womans foot has left the screen, I mean one frame after and people may not notice it because their attention is on the woman. You do need to have a long enough lead in for the next shot but that shouldn't be a problem.

I enjoyed it. Well done.

Blog Entries

Some of the technique was so good, I assumed the poor colour was deliberate - for effect. Grazie and Middy have pointed out the good stuff so I don't need to repeat it. And I don't mind doggy films if they have a plot (actually I don't mind them at all, I jus don't like the way anything with a furry animal gets points from old ladies in our film clubb competitions just because it has a furry animal).

But if you want feedback, surely this is posted in teh wrong section? User Video would be more appropriate, no?
    Tim

Wow!!! that is some good feedback! (and awesome tips)

Thanks a lot guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Feedback?

Great concept and you could develop.

You do have some dodgy colour correction needed to be done. This is very easily achieved in Vegas.

You've got some editing hiccups I'd like to see remedied. Nothing serious, but in my opininon would make the piece flow better.

Things that had me mentally clapping were the low level smoooooth trackin, nice, and Jawa Field Zoom Track effect! Great stuff.

What jib/dolly did you use?
    Grazie
    I was using a 36" home-made slider, that I just finished and was testing... it's kind of like a mini dolly.

It has some manfrotto quick release plates so I can easily mount it on a tripod or use it by itself in the ground or in a table (it has some black little legs ).

which regards tha WB... when I started doing the test shots (of the slider) I had the WB in a custom setting at 3000 Kelvin unintentionally (which is extremely low/cold). Once I decided that I was going to make a storyboard and take some additional shots, I kept the 3000k setting so all the media would have the same tones. Then, on Vegas... I color-grade everything to look very cold. I do kind of like the colder tones a lot (I usually feel my 5D mkII is too warm...)

Jawa Field Zoom Track effect!
    I'm going to guess you are referring to 1:40 (the vertigo effect or dolly-zoom). Okay, I cheated on that one... I used After Effect (but I compose the whole thing in Vegas... I swear!! )

(from wiki)
    In its classic form, the camera is pulled away from a subject whilst the lens zooms in (or vice-versa) in such a way as to keep the subject the same size in the frame throughout.
    The problem is that counteracting the movement of the camera with the zoom of a lens is no easy task... It would require a master camera operator or some other type tool that I'm not aware of

So, my idea was to simplify the whole process by physically moving the camera towards the subject, and later match the opposite movement (zooming out) in post-work.

Now, this is where it gets tricky... in order to counteract perfectly the camera movement with the artificial zoom, I had to track the footage using the "stabilize motion" tool in After Effect

Here is the final test shot =

720p .MP4 1.47MB

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I liked it but I love all animal movies. You have some great camera work and some rubbish camera work. The colour, white balance or what ever the problem was is an issue with some shots and there where some over exposed shots. This was mixed with some really good shots like the focus pull, nice dolly shots, very well executed dolly zoom (or what ever it's called). You showed you can put a piece together with a good narrative and the end cries out for a sequel. The music was well mixed and fitted well.
    I'm glad you liked the background music... it was the hardest part for me (as that is what I'm least experienced doing). Not only it took me longer than shooting and compositing, but it was the most frustrating part.
    One tip for you at 1:53 when you do the cut it is noticeable that the sun has moved. So, do the cut just after the womans foot has left the screen, I mean one frame after and people may not notice it because their attention is on the woman. You do need to have a long enough lead in for the next shot but that shouldn't be a problem.

I enjoyed it. Well done.
    That is a pretty awesome tip!! I had that problem in two parts. At 1:53 and at 0:32... It drove me crazy, and I didn't know how to make it less noticeable.

Once again, thanks for the feedback! It was very helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by error404; 10-24-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting in detail about how you did it. The dolly zoom in post: now that is impressive!
    Tim

I was thinking the same. Also a nice looking home made dolly.

That's homemade????

You can come round our 'ouse any ole time!

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting all that information Error404.

I enjoyed the video. I assumed that the cold effect was deliberate and can't add anything to Tim and Midnight's comments except to say that I'm really impressed with your home-made rig. It worked really well and added a lot to the feel of the package.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    That's homemade????
    I was thinking the same. The equipment some people seem to have at home in their workshop just staggers me. As does he fact that they have a workshop.
    Being involved in an amateur film club, I frequently see movies about "How I made this or that crafty thing", but to me the interesting part of the film is not how they made the brass wedding ring or mock roman pot, but the fact that they have a blast furnace or a serious lathe or a kiln installed in their shed. Equally impressibe is the fact that they're taken time to learn how to operate these things.

I'd love to see "How to make a dolly & track out of the outside of two disposable ball point pens, a washing up liquid bottle and sticky back plastic" on Blue Peter.

I'm reminded of Monty Python...
    Cut to a sign saying 'How to do it'. Music. Pull out to reveal a 'Blue Peter' type set. Sitting casually on the edge of a dais are three presenters in sweaters - Noel, Jackie and Alan - plus a large bloodhound.
    Alan Hello.
    Noel Hello.
    Alan Well, last week we showed you how to become a gynaecologist. And this week on 'How to do it' we're going to show you how to play the flute, how to split an atom, how to construct a box girder bridge, how to irrigate the Sahara Desert and make vast new areas of land cultivatable, but first, here's Jackie to tell you all how to rid the world of all known diseases.
    Jackie Hello, Alan.
    Alan Hello, Jackie.
    Jackie Well, first of all become a doctor and discover a marvellous cure for something, and then, when the medical profession really starts to take notice of you, you can jolly well tell them what to do and make sure they get everything right so there'll never be any diseases ever again.
    Alan Thanks, Jackie. Great idea. How to play the flute. (picking up a flute) Well here we are. You blow there and you move your fingers up and down here.
    Noel Great, great, Alan. Well, next week we'll be showing you how black and white people can live together in peace and harmony, and Alan will be over in Moscow showing us how to reconcile the Russians and the Chinese. So, until next week, cheerio.
    Alan Bye.
    Jackie Bye.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast