Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helicam

Default Helicam

Came across this online which I thought was pretty cool:

Basically it's a a mount for a 5D MKII attached to a radio controlled helicopter. Pretty tricky to use but a hell of a lot cheaper than having an actual helicopter shot in your work! Not too sure I'd feel to happy about attaching my camera to it though...
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

I've been looking for an RC heli that will hold my Go Pro for a while. I've got a cheap indoor helicopter that I was given for christmas last year, which got me hooked on wanting a "big boy" version for outside. I've seen some of the footage you can get with these, and would love to combine two hobbies. Anyone flying these with a Go Pro?

Let alone the cost (which I would be interested in knowing) it must take a lot of practice to be able use. I did see an image of the operator with an LCD screen attached to his controls so he could see what he was shooting but can imagine it still being a little tricky!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

This is the kind of thing i want to do, i have a few canon 5d mk II's and a few gopro's and ive tried to find a heli or something that will take the weight, aagin ive found its all a bit vauge and your probably going to need to take up a new hobby of R/C just to get to know he basics.

Any tips advice on gear, mounts, helicopters etc would be great but again i feel i wont any replys

We had a long discussion about this last year. Shrimpfarmer is the guy that actually does it. I bought a 450 size heli to give it a go, but after crashing the heli a number of times without really getting it to do what I wanted, I'm afraid that I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for the method.

However, since then there has been a new product launched that is far easier to fly and has a better weight carrying capacity. It's called a Gaui Quadflyer 330X s-version
    Gaui 330X S Quad Flyer Multi Rotor RC Helicopter - Perfect for aerial photographing

As a 4 channel vehicle instead of 6 channel like a full heli, it is supposed to be very controlable. Not got the funds to try it yet though! (anyone want to buy a 450 that has only been lightly crashed??)
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

That's the best RC heli footage I've seen. Very cool stuff.

Though, I do wonder why they used a 5D Mk II. You'd have thought that a camera with a CCD sensor would have been a better choice, as it doesn't suffer from the 'jello effect', which is even worse when one uses image stabilisation (which they have here). Regardless, it looks awesome.

Ian may be you would be better off with something like this

It seems to have a shaky image but looks safer for your camera.

I've done many trials flying cam mounted on RC helicopters. The copter was a Raptor with a deep undersling to mount the cam. This protects the cam as the copter lands. Got some footage up in cyberspace somewhere. The cam was a helmet cam which sent the video signal down to a recording camera.
    A very experienced heli pilot is needed as helis are very, very dangerous things. Carrying weight is a big problem too. The heavier the load the bigger the copter needed. Still have all the gubbins somewhere
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks Midnight, thta's really helpful!!!

As far as the original post is concerned, yes, it is nice to see a helicam used in a sensible way, rather than just 'look how high I can get my camera!' type shots.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

The type of aircraft in the 'FPT factory' clip looks the safest and easiest, and probably cheapest method. Given the number of crashed and irrepairable RC model aircraft amonst enthusiasts; perhaps the RC parts and motors could be mounted to the camera; thus offering options to change the cam orientation using a second RC.
    Whilst the operator still won't 'see' what they are filming, it would give them more options for going up/down/left/right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast