Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First experience. Please critique.

Default First experience. Please critique.

Thank you in advance!

Some very nice compositions. Very photographic. I liked it.

Some minor crit - I'd remove the white flashes and dips to black. They add little and are an old TV trick to be able to cut between two similar looking shots without jarring the audience etc. Also the cross fades. A video like this, with very well composed and photographic shots would suit simple, modern cuts. I think some of the sea-scape shots are too bland, especially in black and white, I would remove 80% of them. 02:42 is a good example of a sea shot to keep, 01:24 and 02:14 are good examples of ones to lose. Being black and white and seeing such little detail upsets the flow of the piece to my mind. Try and boost the contrast to really boost the blacks, then I think you've got something really, really nice.

On the whole I like it a lot. There really are some very well framed shots (02:05 in particular).

Hope you don't mind the criticism. I'm not an expert by any means but being a professional editor for nearly ten years I have a bit of an eye for these things....hopefully....!

All the best,

Matt

Smile

Dear Matt
    I really really thank you for taking the time to review the video! That was what I was looking for. A professional criticism.

Thank you one more time!

Best wishes!

Krum

You're welcome Krum. Best of luck with everything

Here you can see an edited version. It's really interesting what You think. Thank you for taking the time!

Blog Entries

Matt's comments are really good. However, I'd disagree about increasing the contrast in this case. Whilst it increases the "arty" look, it also adds a sinister or film noir element to the film. To me, the film wants a lazy, warm look and many of the shots in the earlier vesion had exactly the right amount of contrast for this.

My main criticism would be there's quite a bit of difference in exposure between many of the shots and I found this distracting. Were they meant to show different moods or weas this just how the shots turned out. If the former I couldn't really see any consitency.

There were also a few shots (eg the third shot) where the horizon isn't level. It didn't look "off" enough to be intentional, yet I can't believe you didn't know as for most of the film it's virtually perfect.

Nevertheless I really enjoyed the film which is qute an achievemant as I'm not generally a fan of montage type stuff. Great effort.
    Tim

I may be talking rot, but:
    Both clips contain more than 255 colours, so it not strictly black and white (greyscale). Indeed there seems to be few real 100% black or white pixels. Simple manipulation of a single 'contrast' controller may not be the best way to use Matt's suggestions. I suspect it requires controls for various parts of the mid-range.

Words cannot express how grateful I am.
    I have never dreamed of such a constructive critique.
    This is priceless for me.
    THANK YOU!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krum View Post
    Words cannot express how grateful I am.
    You are most welcome. All we ask is that you return the favour by taking the time to critique videos posted by others. It doesn't matter how experienced you are in filmmaking, you're almost certainly a experienced viewer and feedback from a viewer's perspective is far more important than that from a makers perspective. That's not to say makers comments are not important - often they can nail exactly what is wrong from a viewers point of view.
    Tim

very nice indeed. some beautifully composed shots..... enjoyed the depth of field i'm guessing your using a dslr ?

only thing that spoiled it a little for me, as tim pointed out lots of differing contrast between shots...... something i am struggling with in my own videos right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast