Thread: Interviewing for a Documentary?

Nr Dartford, Kent

Default Interviewing for a Documentary?

Hi Guys

I've just been asked to film an event and I'm pretty new to videography. It is a 2 day woodturning event with lots of demos from pro turners, an evening meal and a live turning competition with lots of drama and fun.

I want to make a mini docu, or series of shorts which are kind of half-promotional but half docu-like. i.e I want vox pops, shots of the demo's and the competition, lots of b-roll and scenery.

The question I have is about interviewing. I don't want to be in front of the camera. SO I'm going to film it with the interviewee talking to me off camera and not looking down the lens.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this style of interviewing. Or maybe some links/books that might teach me this technique.

Any tips or advice on this would be most appreciated, I'm doing this completely on my own so am a bit nervous.

Blog Entries

Get a tripod.

If you have to hold the camera steady, compose a picture and ask questions, something will suffer.

Nr Dartford, Kent

Cheers Rob. I'm renting the gear, so have already ordered an XHA1, fluid head tripod and shotgun. I'm wondering whether I should bother with lighting and setup a dedicated area for vox pops and interviews. The thinking being that, as I'm on my own, it will make it easier for me to get quality footage.