Thread: Help! Which Video Editing Software is for me?

Default Help! Which Video Editing Software is for me?

Hello, I want to start making small movies! I've already tried Sony Vegas but I've read on some forums/reviews "Vegas isn't a bad software but some are even better!"
    I want to make small movies in trailer/teaser style or like RocknRolla style by guy ritchie. I think I won't need 5.1 sound, stereo is enough for me.
    Software I've heard of Avid, Adobe Premier, Edius, I don't know any others.
    which one will you recommend me?

Budget! I actually don't care how much but I hope it will be limited for software only I've cam and so...
    Last edited by MrfarNhigh; 10-18-2010 at 11:48 AM.

You don't mention a budget, which is important if you are trying to choose an editing package.
    Forking out for, say, Adobe Premiere and After Effects would, after a steep learning curve, allow you more scope than Vegas Platinium 10 but would cost you more than 10x as much!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

ok edited the 1st post, also I don't want the software to limit my imagination also it would be good if there will be enough tuts/lessons to learn from

You'll get a lot of good tutorials and help on Vegas, in all it's forms, and it is easier to grasp than some other programs. Premiere elements is not conducive to learning Premiere Pro, whereas the Sony suite does lead onto their Pro versions.
    AE is an additional program in it's own right which has some great tutorial;s at Videocopilot.com and it can supplement any NLE (Non-Linear Editor). I've never tried Avid/Edius software, so can't comment. Steer clear of Pinnacle as many complain of glitches. The main problem with all of them is that you need a high end PC to run/render footage with any speed.

HIH
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I've used Edius and found it to be excellent software but I would recommend Sony Vegas for learning. Don't get Pinnacle it's very restrictive once you have played with all the fancy transitions and a lot of people have found it a little unstable. Avid is good but very expensive. The good thing about Sony Vegas is that you can by the entry level for around 50 and then easily upgrade if you want more functionality.

the thing is I don't wanna swap from one software to another cause It could do it good as I wanted it.

That's why I recommended Sony Vegas. It is the the sames software as the Pro version but with less functionality in the Studio version. You can if You want go straight for the Pro version.