Thread: Audio Editing in Sony Vegas 10

Post Audio Editing in Sony Vegas 10

Hello everybody, im new to Sony Vegas but ive taken a multimedia class with Final Cut, so i grasp alot of the basic functions of Sony Vegas...
    I wish to take bits and peices of a larger audio track and edit them for my own uses. I don't know how to do this without copying the whole track, cutting one little part, deleting the rest of the track, and repeating the process for every tidbit i want edited. Its very time and data consuming, and i know theirs got to be an easier way. Anybody got any bright ideas?

BTW, i have GoldWave for audio editing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XeroKeeper View Post
    ... I don't know how to do this without copying the whole track, cutting one little part, deleting the rest of the track, and repeating the process for every tidbit i want edited..
    If you want to edit something - inevitably there will be work involved... I'm not sure how you think any program would know what edits you want, where, when and how.... The only shortcut you can use to perhaps loop a section, is to get that portion, copy it and paste it after the first... other than that - I think you have some work ahead of you.

Blog Entries

I think I understand what you are trying to do, correct me if I'm wrong:
    From, say a 10 minute piece you want 10 seconds starting at 0:45, three seconds starting at 1:20, five seconds starting at 3.23 .... etc

And what you're doing at the moment is loading the track, selecting the first 10 secs you want and deleting the rest, loading the track, selecting the second (3 secs) you want then deleting the rest....yes?

That's the way you'd have to do it in GoldWave (I'm pretty sure)

In Vegas it's much easier:

Load the track.
    Make a selection for each bit you want to keep and "split" at either end: This can be done in a number of ways,
    (A) drag the cursor above the timeline so a grey bar appears above the bit you want to keep, then press "S" to create a split at each end
    (B) move the cursor to the beginning of the bit you want to keep, press "S", move it to the end of thge bit you want to keep and press "S"
    (C) move the cursor to the beginning of the bit you wat to keep and press "I" (in), move to the end of the bit you want to keep and press "O" (out) then press "S" to split

You should now have an event with splits at the beginning and end of every bit you want to keep (and, obviously, at the beginning and end of all the bits you want to delete).

Now all you have to do is select each section you want to delete and press "delete".

It is important to note you haven't actually deleted anything and you haven't edited the original file at all. All you've really done is create a set of markers saying "I want to play this file starting "here" and ending "here". This can be easily demontrated by dragging the end of one of the sections you haven't deleted - the bits you deleted come back into play! This is known as "non-destructive editing".

Now you can just copy and paste the sections you have left to your heart's content.

Note: There are other ways of doing this, creating regions and (if you have Vegas Pro) sub-clips
    Tim

If I'm reading right Tim, it's just a load into trimmer jobby. Mark your first in/out. Drag down to timeline. Mark next in/out. Drag down to timeline. And so on. You can right click the file in Vegas explorer and choose 'load into trimmer'. I prefer to have the 'double click loads clip into trimmer' option ticked in Vegas prefs.

Blog Entries

Much better workflow, Archie. I often forget about the trimmer as I tend to "feel more comfortable" on the timeline.
    Tim

I've never used the trimmer, does that make me bad or stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think I understand what you are trying to do, correct me if I'm wrong:
    From, say a 10 minute piece you want 10 seconds starting at 0:45, three seconds starting at 1:20, five seconds starting at 3.23 .... etcs
    Spot on Tim. very helpful advice, Thank you all for you input, now the editing goes by 100 times faster! I love this forum already.