Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Woodworking Show

Default A Woodworking Show

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I recently made some short video montages for a woodworking show. My camera work leaves a lot to be desired. I'd love some critical comments on them.

They are on the front page of my website

The Wood Haven

One thing I specifically need answering is the jagged lines when I pan the camera. I'm not sure if this is happening after encoding or if it's the camera. It was an XHA1, filming in SD mode. I filmed in SD because I thought my computer couldn't handle the HD files, but it handled SD well, so I'm going to try HD next time. Will this solve the jagged edges when panning?

Any help appreciated.

The jagged line when panning are an interlace artefact. When you render you piece make sure lower field first is selected in the interlace section of the rendering options. This hopefully will get rid of the artefact. I think the video would benefit from some narration to help us know what is going on.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 10-17-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks for replying.

I'm using Premiere Pro. I will have to google 'Lower Field First'. Not something I'm aware of.

I hear what you're saying about having some narration. But generally the target audience are aware who everyone is and what they're doing.

Well I checked the settings in premiere and it is using Lower Field First.

I read somewhere that this is an issue with PAL? is that right? If I'm just shooting for the web, would it be sensible to work in NTSC?

It's not really an issue with PAL it's a field order issue. If your rendering SD footage you would set lower field first. If your doing HD you would set upper field first. Thats the usual anyway, try it the other way round to see what happends. How can you not know if it's in the original footage ? Where you editing with a copy ?

If you bought your camera in the UK it will be set to shoot PAL, you won't be able to shoot NTSC with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    How can you not know if it's in the original footage ? Where you editing with a copy ?
    The camera was a rented XHA1, I ripped the tapes to my PC, then returned the camera. So I wasn't sure if this is something you can set on the camera or whilst editing.

I'm completely new to videography and like starting in any new hobby\profession, I'm at information overload stage. Hence the odd questions. I'm sure after another couple of shoots I'll get used to the technologies and terminologies.

If you want a quick solve for this issue, try using a "de-interlace" filter on the final movie/render. You'll know if it's the encoding because the artifacts will not appear in your Viewer in Premiere. I agree with MidnightBlue, nothing to do with NTSC/PAL unless you bought an American camera or it is set to record in NTSC, but I doubt it.

I watched a video 2 on your site and saw a scruffy cross fade. It's a bit of a No-no to cross fade from a static shot to a zooming shot if the angles are very similar I.E at 02:13. Wait for the shot to "land" then fade through to it. Looks much nicer!

Sorry for the random crit. Hope some of it helps!

Matt

Thanks Matt. I've been reading and watching about video editing for about a month and not came across that specific point on fading to a zoom. I've just checked back and of course you're right, it does look jarring.

For this next shoot that I'm doing next week I will be shooting in HD. So I will have to remember these tips and see if I can improve. I'm just trying to work out lights/lighting. Nightmare.

Thanks guys.

No worries. HD can be tricky but if you're prepped it should be nice and straight forward. But here's a few tips. Make sure that what ever the camera settings are I.E scan mode, resolution etc exactly matches the settings in your editing software for that project. So if you shoot 720p (P meaning 'Progressive Scan') then your sequence settings in Premiere should be set to 720p etc.
    Bare in mind that if you shoot full HD (1920-1080 resolution) then this will slow down the editing and processing time in post significantly if you're machine is fairly basic.

Have a read through some workflows online; search the camera and find the workflows for post production and you should find some tips on editing the footage in a lower res to speed things up and then mastering to the quality you originally shot at etc.

Go with progressive scan, you can't go wrong, fantastic images.

Matt, thank you very much for helping, I really appreciate it. I should take some training classes really. But I'm boot strapping this venture.

I'll spend some time googling for Canon XHA1 work flows. Not seen that term before. Editing in lower res makes sense. I'm working with prempro cs4. I'll remember 720p. This is mostly for the web. It might get burned to DVD's one day, but it certainly won't get on TV. However, I'd still like to have as much quality as I can. I got started doing this because I love watching video online on my chosen subject(s).

I'll report back here when I've shot and edited (that is unless I need more help )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast