Thread: Do TV production techniques interest you?

Default Do TV production techniques interest you?

I have worked a producer/director (self-shooting and directing crews) in TV for around 12 yrs, (factual entertainment, light doc, reality tv - but not drama)

I'd like to know what other people who work in purely video think about TV production?

I realise with the amazing changes going on, Video is the buzz word yet people still appreciate TV quality, and of course the 2 are converging.

Reason is I'd like to develop a course based on TV techniques for people who make video. So basically teaching all the stuff I've learned over the years myself and from working with crews eg pre-production, self-shooting + directing, working with talent, audio, narrative, voiceover, music, editing etc.

Things that could be useful if you never worked in TV but might want to know about from a TV perspective.

I've spotted a few nice courses out there run by either career long videomakers or tech people with a passion for video but as you can see I'm coming at it from a different angle.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I'm not sure what the difference is between a TV perspective and a normal video maker. We all aim to create a technically perfect piece that communicates the message intended. I'm sure your experience would benefit most of us on this forum if you stay around. It's always good to talk to people who have real life experience who are willing to pass that on to those of us who haven't yet been there, see it, done it etc. So I hope you stay around.

Welcome to the forum.

Good idea but your biggest hurdle is that the market is already flooded I'm afraid.

Ranging from the best (National Film School) to the free seminars at any of the trade fairs, training is everywhere. All courses are run by working professionals nowadays and the trend is in the opposite direction to what you're suggesting.

Television is currently learning from videography with crews getting smaller and producing more broadcast minutes for the buck. The big problem with using television techniques for video is that it is more expensive. Most videographers are more efficient in their planning than broadcasters and certainly are better equipped to operate economically. Technical seminars work well but are usually held by experts in a particular field. If a videographer wants to improve his/her camerawork, they will go to a course tutored by an STLD lighting cameraman. For sound, there are numerous AMPS recordists teaching the practicalities and so on.

In theory, videography could benefit from television, in practice it's the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    In theory, videography could benefit from television, in practice it's the other way round.
    I'm sure it wasn't the intention, Rob, but that strikes me as a rather profound statement, worthy of much discussion.
    Tim