Thread: Need feedback on every level

Default Need feedback on every level

This is for Oddhobby's Weird Store -- The Site Is Not Operational, so I don't consider it to be commercial/spam... This is a video I did in 2007.

YouTube - Oddhobby Weird Store Action Figures - wide

Let me know everything! Style, product mix, sound, fonts... The only thing I'm not concerned with is the length or legalities. However, if you see certain parts that would "stand alone" let me know. Be brutal, but please be specific! I would prefer it if you also told me how you would have done it better, but it's ok to just say "I don't like that part".

Cheers!

Also, please see my post in the pinnacle section...
    my blog OLio#
    Last edited by slart; 10-17-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: to better focus the feedback

The half the metal door at the beginning is transparent this looked odd to me. I wouldn't have listed out all the action figures together and then show the individual ones, I would have just shown them individually. I also found all the different fonts and colours confusing. At 0.58 secs the change in music as to sudden I feel it needs blending better. may be fade the previous one first. You seem to leave things on the screen from the previous subject and just add the new things on top, this just adds to the over all confusion of what the thing is all about.

It seems like you tried to put as many sound effects as you could most of them I thought unnecessary. The whole thing just confused me. I know it's an add for a shop that sells "Odd" things but the video tried to do to much, it's as if you tried to put in the whole of the shops inventory. I feel it would benefit from a total re-edit, by edit I mean take out about half of the content, especially the effects. Also think about putting on a voice over, this may help to put your point across better.

Sorry if this seems very negative. I appreciate you put in a great deal of effort with it but to me it failed to deliver the message.

No it wasn't negative at all, it was exactly what I wanted and I thank you for it...

...it was my first video and my ego isn't so huge that I think I have to be perfect on my first try!

Tks agn!
    JS

Blog Entries

Quite apart from Midnight's comments - all of which are relevant - I wonder why you don't want comments about the length. Is this becuase you're already decided it's the wrong length or because you feel it has to be 4.34? I hope it's the former, because I really wonder who a list of the contents of a shop, lasting four and a half minutes is aimed at!

The only other thing I'd add is concern over all those tunes and images. You are, I presume, aware that virtually everything in your video is either a registered tramdemark or covered by copyrigh. Are you sure you're at liberty to use them. It's one thing to use them in home movies, which is illegal, but unlikely to incur any more than a request to removce them, but as a commercial venture.........
    Tim

Hi Tim,

No, I am not concerned about the length; and the content, in toto, is being used in accordance with US trademark/copyright laws (and those laws are the only ones I'm concerned with at this point). Not to be curt, but we've had very long discussions with the US attorneys who litterally wrote the book on e-trademark, e-copyright laws (Oddhobby was one of the first e-Zines). Not to say that your input doesn't have value, just to say that I already have (unimpeachable) sources I can trust in that regard.

Tks,
    JS
    Last edited by slart; 10-17-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Not being curt at all. I'm delighted to see you've got all that covered. It was well worth mentioning though, as I'm sure you'll agree, as others who read this forum might not be as well informed as you are about the dangers of using registered trademarks or copyright material without explicit permission.

I'm still intruiged: who is the audience?
    Tim