Thread: Need advice on a camera for amateur filmmaking

Default Need advice on a camera for amateur filmmaking

Hi i am a film studies student in Manchester looking for a good 1080p digital camcorder that will be able to give me varied images and a slow, sensitive and deep zoom. I am not really sure what to buy and to be honest when to buy due to alot of the cameras that have been released being relatively old now. I am not sure whether to wait for a new line of cameras that will have better features.
    Anyway, i am looking for one with audio input jacks so i can record my sound externally too which i have found difficult to track down.
    Any suggestions will be more than helpful

EDIT - MY BUDGET IS BETWEEN 300-400.
    Many thanks Chris and the guy below for reminding me
    Last edited by sunlollyking; 10-14-2010 at 12:30 AM.

One thing you have omitted is your budget, which could have a big effect on the advice you will receive. Many consumer camcorders and one or two dSLR cameras could suit your needs, especially if you include an audio adaptor, available in various specifications. Juiced Link produce some: or there are passive ones like the XLR Pro that we use on a Canon Vixia HF200.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

For audio i was thinking of just buying a set of studio microphones similar to the ones people use for TV interviews where they clip it to the front of their jacket or something. I know the sound quality wouldn't be flawless but it feels like the best solution given my budget.

I think you'll find that the cheapo wireless versions will only work one at a time, so buying two would be a waste of money. You could use wired ones though!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk