Thread: Recording voice over video

Default Recording voice over video

Hello, everyone.
    I am new here, and I need you help.
    I want to record my voice over video. This is actually a narration that should run over the audio of the video.

Which audio/video editing software would you recommend for this type of recording?

I can't record my voice separately because I should know where to start and stop recording while watching the video.

Thanks.
    Mamadiev.

Most Editing software will do this. Try experimenting with your windows movie maker.

In Sony Vegas you can record your voice while watching the playback of the video, so long as you have a suitable microphone that will plug into your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Most Editing software will do this. Try experimenting with your windows movie maker.
    Does Windows Movie Maker do that? Does it have an in-built feature that allows me to record voice while watching the playback of the video? I did not know that.

Thanks,
    Mamadiev.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamadiev View Post
    I can't record my voice separately because I should know where to start and stop recording while watching the video.
    Actually you can. You record lots of little bits of audio (which means you don't have to start again when you get one bit wrong) then match these separate clips with where you want them to start against the video.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Actually you can. You record lots of little bits of audio (which means you don't have to start again when you get one bit wrong) then match these separate clips with where you want them to start against the video.
    This is a good point, thanks. I should try it.

You know... there is a great little program called Reaper that can do this perfectly. The thing is though, it's a fully featured DAW so it would take a little bit of reading the manual to get used to it, but it does work flawlessly, as well as coming with a compressor and EQ that you could use to make sure your voice was never covered up by the video's audio. It's not free, but you can download an unlicensed "trial" version that technically never expires (I think).

Check it out: REAPER

Hi,
    Yeah, most audio recording software or audio editing programs have ability to record voice over video or just record moive sound while you are watching videos on your PC. When you need to start to record, click on button. And click off, it will stop recording. Hope this answer can give you more insight.

If you can arrange access to it Logic Studio from apple is excellent for ADR as you can set up a loop that allows you to repeat a line many times in quick succession and pick the best recording. It stores them as a clickable layer that drops down to reveal all the takes and you can just highlight the right one, or different words from takes or even phonemes. Have a look at a little overview of how it works. How to Comp Tracks in Logic Pro 8 .

Logic also takes in multiple video formats and has loads of FX and dynamics for sweetening the audio.

But at 417 or (104 if you're in education) logic is a little pricey, if you don't intend to do much post production audio, go with reaper.