Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Sony Vegas move Studio HD

1. Default New to Sony Vegas move Studio HD

Hello, as you can see, I am very new to these forums. Movies and editing are two things that I am greatly interested in, so I decided to wriote a scrpit and make a short video. So, I have currently filmed three scenes in my movie, Apocalypse 2013, and I knew I would have to edit it. After having trouble with the Windows Movie maker on my laptop, I knew I had to stop being cheap and buy a program :P So, I ended up with Sony vegas movie Studio HD (Version 9), for a fairly cheap price ($40). I came here to ask for some help on how to use the program. (I know there was nothing wrong with my disc, because I had the same problems with the free trial).

So, whenever I add in a clip, i always have these same exact problems. The clip has no sound, no matter how loud I put the volume up, and it plays fast, almost as though it is fast forwarding. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for the help!
    -bstnsx704

Blog Entries

For starters it's pretty essential you tell us what format & codec your film is and how you got it onto your PC.
    So - (a) what camera did you use and, if relevant, what settings?
    (b) how did you transfer the footage to your PC?
    (c) download a free program called GSpot and use it to examine your film files. In particular look at the codec information
    (d) I don't know offhand whether Move Studio HD has this facility, but look at the properties of the clips once you've imported them into Vegas - again look for information about codecs - in particular note anuy information which may be missing - this may be a clue.
    (e) how are you getting the files into vegas (File | Import,? Dragging from windows explorer onto the timeline? How?)
    (f) Do the clips play fine in other programs: Windows Movie maker? Windows Media Player? anything else?
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    For starters it's pretty essential you tell us what format & codec your film is and how you got it onto your PC.
    So - (a) what camera did you use and, if relevant, what settings?
    (b) how did you transfer the footage to your PC?
    (c) download a free program called GSpot and use it to examine your film files. In particular look at the codec information
    (d) I don't know offhand whether Move Studio HD has this facility, but look at the properties of the clips once you've imported them into Vegas - again look for information about codecs - in particular note anuy information which may be missing - this may be a clue.
    (e) how are you getting the files into vegas (File | Import,? Dragging from windows explorer onto the timeline? How?)
    (f) Do the clips play fine in other programs: Windows Movie maker? Windows Media Player? anything else?
    Thank you for the reply!

(a) My camera was the Kodak Zi8, and I shot i 1080p
    (b) I dragged the folder from my camera onto my desktop (I also had the problems when taking the clips directly from the camera, though)
    (c) OK, I'll do that
    (d) Not sure how to go about that, I only have experience in Windows Movie Maker
    (e) I drag from the folder into the timeline, and I also tried double clicking on the files from the box in the middle of the screen iin the editing program
    (f) They play fine in Windows Media Player, and they work fine in Windows movie maker unitl I split them. When I split the clips in Movie Maker the become laggy and freeze up. That's why i bought Sony Vegas movie Studio.

Again, thank you for your help! I'll download GSpot!

EDIT: I downloaded GSpot, but I'm not exactly sure how to use it. This is what happened when I dragged one of my many clips in:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...ct412/help.png
    Last edited by bstnsx704; 10-10-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Thaks for posting. Thos will help those who know what they're talking about to diagnose.
    The "codec status undetermined" messages might be significant.
    Did the Zi8 come with any software -it may be worth loading that (if so) as this may correctly register the codecs with Vegas.
    Tim

5. Default

No, my camera didn't come with any software.

And again, thank yo for taking the time to help me.

You could make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime and try re installing the H.264 codec. This may or may not help but there is definetly something not right about the codec otherwise it would say installed instead of undetermined.

7. Default

Thank you for the offer with Midnight Blue Productions, but I would prefer to edit the movie mysel.

I will be sure to checkQuicktime and the Codec once again! Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsx704 View Post
    Thank you for the offer with Midnight Blue Productions, but I would prefer to edit the movie mysel.
    I'm assuming that Midnight suggested you send him some files and he has a go at editing it. If that's the case, I'm sure he meant in order to help diagnose rather than to edit your movie for you!

If that's not the case, I've got thee years' worth of familiy videos to catch up on, if you're offering Midnight
    Tim

I don't actually remember offering but I am nearing the age where senility could be setting in.

10. Default

Haha, sorry, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I only glanced at the site and thought that it was an editing company for hire or something :P

I'll check it out again when i get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast