Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a well written script - preferable for a short film

1. Default Looking for a well written script - preferably for a short film

Hi guys,

I really want to make a new video - preferably a short film but I have run out of creative juice and time to really delve myself into writing something of a high standard. I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in writing me a script of some sort - anything really. I'm afraid if you would have to be done on a good will basis... as I don't have any money to hand out!

If you're interesting please get in touch with me... dirtyharry1994@hotmail.com
    Last edited by harrysfunzoneboy; 10-09-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harrysfunzoneboy View Post
    Hi guys,
    I really want to make a new video - preferably a short film but I have run out of creative juice and time to really delve myself into writing something of a high standard. I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in writing me a script of some sort - anything really. I'm afraid if you would have to be done on a good will basis... as I don't have any money to hand out!

If you're interesting please get in touch with me... dirtyharry1994@hotmail.com
    You're joking, right? If anyone here was to come up with an original creative idea for a script they would use it themselves, not give it away to someone who is too lazy to apply himself to the discipline of the creative process. And give it to you for free?

Hum-mm? Come to think about it, you may have just created your own script idea.

Log-line: A nerdy teenager with a video camera struggles to come up with a fresh creative idea of how to use it, but can't. Frustrated, he resorts to begging for a freebie from on the Internet, but gets nowhere, until he encounters a wise old cinematographer who verbally gives him a swift kick in the pants and the inspiration he needs with these words of sage advice: "Just get out there and shoot something! Anything! The ideas will come."

Blog Entries

Digger's right, Harry.
    The only way I know in the amateur world of getting my hands dirty on someone elses idea is to form part of a team. If you can't get some friends with similar interests to help, see if there's an amateur camcorder club near you. If it's anything like the UK you'll be near the age of most members great grandchildren, but they'll love your enthusiasm so long as you show some respect.
    Tim

Hi Harry,

I'm gonna tell you what I tell everybody looking to get into fimmaking. Learn to read, and read, and read, and read. There are tens of thousands of stories in public domain just waiting to be filmed. For instance, all of Mark Twain's works are in public domain. I doubt that even 5% of it has ever been filmed. And it's not exactly rocket science to take an old story and update it to modern times if you want to do that. Some of the best movies ever made have been based on old stories. Twain, GK Chesterton, William Morris, James Hogg, Walter Scott, on and on, all had lots of both short stories and full scale novels that would transfer to excellent scripts. For that matter there are some classic poems that would make great short stories. Things like Kilmeny or Kubla Khan for instance.

There's no such thing as a great filmmaker who is not a great reader.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 11-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like you idea Swoopie... I have been reading more books, trying to find a good story to shoot!

Someone sent me a script a few weeks back with a script attached... it's not there in my inbox somehow. Message to you: if you could send it again it would be brilliant! Thanks.

Look at a short story by Mark Twain simply called A Ghost Story. It's only two pages long. It's basically about a dead gaint who's body has been made into a wax duplicate unbeknownst to him. He spends a couple of years haunting the place where this wax body is, not realizing that his real body lay for away in another city, thinking that if he scares people enough, they will bury his body, and then he can get his eternal rest. The story is based on elements of a real life fraud involving a fake petrified giant known as the Cardiff Giant which is later waxed and... well, that doesn't really matter, and I believe it actually takes away from the tale myself. The thing is, a story about a ghost spending years haunted the wrong place is very funny. It wouldn't take much imagination to write a new, and possibly better, story from that basic concept.

It's not hard to conjure up a story. Executing that story in a tight, well crafted script is a different story. Kind of makes me feel slightly hopeful that a lot are rubbish at writing.

In my opinion, try to give the process a go - but keep the story simple. I study scriptwriting, and my peers and myself included don't take kindly when our sister-course (The TV students) beg us for scripts. While having some credits are nice, they don't treat writers with much respect. Heck, I wasn't even credited in one script I gave to a producer! And when they did credit me later, I was put between editor and sound!

I guess what I'm saying is...if you want to get a writer - a real writer - to offer you a "good" script...you'll need to show them you're a good film-maker. Try Shooting People - it's a fairly active forum of eager beavers.

But in my opinion, you'll probably benefit more from having scriptwriters as friends to read your work and provide critique, rather than write the work for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Dementia View Post
    It's not hard to conjure up a story.
    For you maybe- that's presumably what drew you to scriptwriting Many of us find this the difficult part.

But I agree with most of your post - sound advice. Not giving you a writing credit is unforgivable. However

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Dementia View Post
    And when they did credit me later, I was put between editor and sound!
    I fail to see a problem with that. You seem to be suggesting that an editor or a sound recordist/designer/editor is somehow less important than a writer. Whilst I fully accept without a script there would be nothing, a good script is nothing without good editing and sound (as well as camerawork, lighting, props, location, acting etc etc). Indeed, the best script in the world would be totally ruined by poor editing or poor sound.

If you aspire to be a scriptwriter, you ought to realise you are part of a team. you are creating a plot and putting lines into actors mouths. You are an important part of creating a film, but only one important part.

Sorry for the rant, but as a rank amateur, I get to do a bit of everything and it is so obvious that a film is only as good as its weakest part and to therefore every job is equally important.
    Tim

Perhaps it's an auteur mentality...But if your producer, and director get to be at the top - why is the screenwriter so often neglected? It's an old argument. I was also under the impression there were industry standards to credits.

But I won't lie that I come from a rather Hitchcockian view that the screenplay is the most important aspect to a film's success. "You need three things to make a good movie: a good script, a good script and a good script." or Akira Kurosama asserts: " With a good script, a good director can produce a masterpiece. With the same script, a mediocre director can produce a passable film. But with a bad script even a good director can't possibly make a good film."

And I still firmly believe we can all conjure stories...even if it's about a dog called Ben and his missing ball! (Could be fantastic if written well .)

But yes, collaboration is important - though I'm rather reserved in that respects. I'd more inclined to make my own stuff - which is why I'm on here - to learn

Blog Entries

As one who believes "content is king" and that you can make a good film on an iPhone if the content is good enough, I'm inclined to agree. But content is more than just a script. ***

My (over)reaction was to your implication that the editor and sound recordist were somewhat less important, when either can have an immmense impact on the effectiveness of your script. And either can make a bad film out of a good script.

*** see what I did there? If you flinched at the phrase "just a script", that's probably the same feeling that an editor or sound recordist might feel when he or she reads the phrase "I was put betwen editor and sound"

Your final statement is interesting. Scriptwriting is the only aspect of filmmaking which can be done solo - everything else requires work with others (solo pieces aside). I'm not sure what, if anything, this tells us about scriptwriters, but it might have some bearing on why they get forgotten about in credits - at least in your experience.

As for your conjecture that we can all conjure stories, I simply cannot agree - the number of requests for ideas here and the number of media students asking members of your course for scripts are my witnesses. My guess is coming up with ideas is something you do without thinking and you make the mistake of assuming everyone else must be able to.

Other than that, I'm intrigued as to what your syllabus covers - it sounds interesting. Does it cover documentary scripts, promotion scripts etc or is it solely creative?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast