Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI Vision Mixing - possible?

Blog Entries

Default HDMI Vision Mixing - possible?

We're about to upgrade our camcorder club kit to HD. So, we'll have a number of devices which output a HDMI signal which will go to the projector.
    I had rather assumed we could fade between one source and another, like we can with our existing S-video setup) but there doesn't appear to be such a beast as an HDMI vision mixer or an HDMI fader.

Am I mistaken. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

All we want to be able to do is fade down the signal going to the projector (and possibly fade up a logo) whilst we cue up the next film.
    Tim

Are you using a laptop/computer or a DVD player as your source player ? What is your current set up ?

Blog Entries

The cheapest full HD video mixer I've found is the Edirol V-440HD and this is a quote about the mixer... "The V-440HD is the first affordable HD mixer offering 4 HD inputs and 4 SD inputs..."

And if you increase your club's subscriptions I'm sure that you'll soon come up with the £10,000 it costs.

Nah, only kidding I've found loads at £5k - £6k...!

The problem is that you need a gizmo which can capture the full HD video on each of the inputs, sync them all together and add any wipe or fade effects all in real time. Bearing in mind that this is something most modern laptops can do without breaking into a sweat, I'm surprised that I can't find any computer-based vision mixers.

Sorry Tim, I can't find anything affordable which will mix HD in real time.

However...

I see that the Western Digital Media Player... Amazon.com: Western Digital WDAVN00BN WD TV HD Media Player: Electronics

has the ability to... "Play content from most popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices." so it might be an option to switch from one to another albeit without fades or dissolves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What is your current set up ?
    Irrelevant. But seeing as you asked

DVD player feeding via SCART into a JVC VHS/MiniDV deck.
    SCART output from deck feeds a 5" CRT monitor for monitoring, audio output goes to a Roland Mixer/Amp which feeds stage speakers via trunked speaaker leads.

Meawhile S-video output from Deck goes into an analog video processor which, apart from enabling us to do a bit of quick compensation for the sats and brightness has a fader. S-video ouput from that runs along trunking to the projector.

Thus we constantly monitor the video output on the CRT, but can fade up and down what is actually projected.

(As you can see, we don't vision mix at present, but we can at least preview what the audience gets)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    "Play content from most popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices." so it might be an option to switch from one to another albeit without fades or dissolves.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion, Rob.

The reason we're going for the Recordable BluRay unit is it provides numerous inputs, similar to the WD unit you refer to, so we can switch between different sources. Indeed there are HDMI switches available (for a comparitively small cost).

OK. So we're not realistically going to be able to dissolve or fade the signal. Shame.
    Tim

It would seem there is some movement in the right direction - the DATAVIDEO S-2000 Vision Mixer has two DVI-D Inputs which just require a simple convertor lead to adapt from HDMI, it is all HD as well, you could also convert HD-SDI to HDMI though the boxes are more pricey. The price is getting more realistic, though why a manufacturer cannot just offer a basic two input crossfade or dissolve black & crossfade at a budget price is beyond me.

Can you survive with switchers with better resources?? VP-438 - Scalers - Kramer Electronics VP-437 and VP-438 are the models I had a look. As almost all cameras have HDMI output now, there must be other solutions around.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Can you survive with switchers with better resources?? VP-438 - Scalers - Kramer Electronics VP-437 and VP-438 are the models I had a look. As almost all cameras have HDMI output now, there must be other solutions around.
    This could be a nice solution, but it doesn't look to allow for much subtlety - you can blank the image between switching sources, but how much of a 'snap' is it? Without seeing the unit in action it's hard to tell. If it's a dissolve to black, even a swift one, and there is no 'snatch' or resize when you select the next source it would be OK, but what's really needed is a crossfader to fade to black, then back to the next selected source. It would be very easy to do with a box like this, if Kramer did it they'd make a fortune! At the moment everything digital we use as a source is scan converted back to video to be vision mixed, and there is a huge loss of resolution. In many cases it doesn't matter too much, but it is a pain in the ass, and explaining it to non-tech's is near impossible.

Blog Entries

I can't believe it's two years since I raised this query. Thanks, guys, for the update. Things appear to be moving in te right direction, but these prices are still way beypond what the club qould pay in order to overcome the inconvenience of waiting for several seconds when switching sources.Or, to put it another way, we can think of many things we'd spend that sort of money on before a switcher.
    I hope someone comes back in another couple of year with an update!
    Tim

Oh no, the old-thread-trick again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast