Thread: My latest music video

1. Default My latest music video

Hey all,

Its been a while, work and all that garbage!

I wrote this track, im the singer in this track and i produced the video 100%.......would love to hear some opinions on it!

Many thanks

It's nice to see original work for a change in stead of the usual rap that gets posted. I thought the feel of the track was well reflected in the visuals. I didn't like the mix of your filming and the very sharp HD African children footage, I think they should have been "blended in". I'm not sure if I like the over all product or not. On one hand I do but on another I don't and I'm not sure why. It may be the subject matter which is a little disturbing. For example the CCTV footage I find very disturbing as I absolutely have senseless violence and even seeing it in this context upsets me.

I do think you come across well in front of the camera but why did you decide on hand held shots of you singing but kept the same distance, static shot. Oh dear, I really am in two minds about this.

3. Default

Thanks for the comments. It is about a certain despair with uk society....chav culture, celebrity worshipping etc...........when there is real suffering going on.

The hand held was achieved in post, i looked through the static version and the handheld and just preffered the handheld look. This was so much fun to edit though and fortunately for me i just managed to capture the last shot on my pc before my camera decided to malfunction :(

Blog Entries

I really liked the groove. Great feel to the song.
    The shots of you singing and (especially) playing tghe guitar just made me think you must be Mark W's nephew or younger brother or something.
    To be honest I'm a bit indifferent to the vid. The original footage seems to be lacking a bit - it seems to me you not 100% committed when you're singing (I suspect you didn't give it as much when standing there as you did when recording the vocals). The camp guitar playing on the other hand looks quite good. So long as you wanted it to look camp, that is. I can see what you wanted to convey with the other footage, but the balance seemed not quite right. Perhaps more samples of shorter length would have worked better, perhaps not. Like Midnight, I'm in two minds. But that's fine. It's captured our interest after all.

Edit: And I've still git that groove going round in my head
    Tim

5. Default

Cheers Tim, glad your feeling the beat!!, and yes, the guitar bit is supposed to look a bit stupid!...i recently saw the video for Crosstown Traffic by Hendrix and it has alot of fast zooms and blurry pans so i kinda got those ideas from that, its like the chaos of a big city like Birmingham. I agree that im a bit held back on the vocal, the problem ive got at the moment is i don't know anyone to make films with so i end up doing everything which means i cant focus on the singing/acting whatever.......it kinda sucks!. I filmed all the city shots and i like 90% of them but i dont think i got enough footage as the weather hasn't been great so ive been getting bits here and there.

If i could just find someone who knows how to work a camera (i don't), to work with regularly im sure my ideas would come out better. The final result didn't come out exactly like i had in my head but to say i had to do everything, overall, im happy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    If i could just find someone who knows how to work a camera (i don't), to work with regularly im sure my ideas would come out better.
    I'm sure you're right. Just knowing someone else who you trust is pointing the camera in the right direction is a massive weight off one's shoulders. I've only recently done a shoot on my own, with me doing pieces to camera and whilst it was quite possible to do everything, it wasn't possible to do anything really well.
    Tim

7. Default

yeh man, its do-able, but things suffer

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    Thanks for the comments. It is about a certain despair with uk society....chav culture, celebrity worshipping etc...........when there is real suffering going on.

The hand held was achieved in post, i looked through the static version and the handheld and just preffered the handheld look. This was so much fun to edit though and fortunately for me i just managed to capture the last shot on my pc before my camera decided to malfunction :(
    I agree the hand held looks better than it would look static. You did a good job in post to make it look realistic. Perhaps you could do some thing in post to get close ups of you singing.

Hope your camera gets better soon.

Hey moonmin

First of well done for doing the whole creative process, I make the videos for our band and I know how much harder it is when you're responsible for all of the constituent parts not just the video.

Secondly, I liked the music, not particularly my preferred style, but that should mean you take it more of a complement

Third there is probably an interesting discussion to be had about the use of third party footage. I don't mean that at all as a criticism just that I'd be interested to know the views of people here about it from a copyright perspective. Personally I think it worked with the song (apart from my fourth point below) and with the time/budget that you probably had was the only realistic way you were going to get a video that conveyed your message, which incidentally I think it did.

Fourth point is about the cuts between the third party footage. I think I'd agree with midnight above that whilst it worked in conveying your message about uk society it made it a touch disjointed. I'd like to have seen something in the video that joined the two together more. Some ideas on this could be.-
    * Some of your footage showing perhaps TV screens in a shop window, people reading magazines etc as a link between the shots. Not every time but just to get the idea in the viewers mind.
    * Perhaps adding an effects filter to the stock footage so that it matched your footage in tone / colour etc.
    * Or maybe going the opposite way having all your footage in black and white and the stock in colour (not sure if that would work but it's an idea).
    * Some form of more technical effects linking the stock and "real" footage, such as green screening, inset images, overlays etc.

If I was to criticise anything, I'm not a fan of crash pans and zooms, and whilst I totally agree that they fit this style of music/ video there were a couple (notably the on the bus footage) where the panning was a bit more obviously the shot setup as opposed to a "stylistic" pan and as such personally I'd have edited it out. But that's mainly a personal hang up I have about pans and zooms .

I think overall it was a good piece of work so these aren't particularly criticisms just ideas on what could have made it a bit better. I also totally appreciate the issues you have with getting quality assistance when making videos. It makes producing something like this even harder.

Well done, it's a thumbs up from me.

Dave