Thread: Surfing video shot with onboard camera

1. Default Surfing video shot with onboard camera

I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding my video:

I shot it using a GoPro and edited using Pinnacle Studio 12.

Tragically, I originally posted this in the wrong forum (Pimp the Link).

I ain't a surfer at all so I can't judge on that. I'm not sure what you were trying to get at with the video though. Even when filming sports videos it good to add some commentary or some cut scenes of random footage. For example maybe throw in a time lapse of people passing by one the beach and have an audio clip playing of you talking about your love for surfing then maybe transition the video into a surf scene somehow. Like I said though I'm not a surfer and I know nothing of it. I love the angles you can get with the GoPro to and you should take advantage of that. Try some more POV(Point of veiw) shots if you have different mounts for the camera.

My main thing though is add to the video with more than just surfing shots. Sure it's a surfing video but the average viewer loves something they can relate to (like sunrise on the ocean or a shot of a seagull picking garbage on the beach). Also avoid the copyrighted music or Youtube will be all over you.

--PicNickTime

I'm not sure if this was just a technical exercise to test your camera or if it is a finished video. If the first, it looks like it works well and you can get some great shots with it. If the latter it fails to really say anything.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PicNickTime View Post
    I ain't a surfer at all so I can't judge on that. I'm not sure what you were trying to get at with the video though. Even when filming sports videos it good to add some commentary or some cut scenes of random footage. For example maybe throw in a time lapse of people passing by one the beach and have an audio clip playing of you talking about your love for surfing then maybe transition the video into a surf scene somehow. Like I said though I'm not a surfer and I know nothing of it. I love the angles you can get with the GoPro to and you should take advantage of that. Try some more POV(Point of veiw) shots if you have different mounts for the camera.

My main thing though is add to the video with more than just surfing shots. Sure it's a surfing video but the average viewer loves something they can relate to (like sunrise on the ocean or a shot of a seagull picking garbage on the beach). Also avoid the copyrighted music or Youtube will be all over you.

--PicNickTime
    That is very helpful, thanks!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm not sure if this was just a technical exercise to test your camera or if it is a finished video. If the first, it looks like it works well and you can get some great shots with it. If the latter it fails to really say anything.
    Maybe it is because I'm new to this, but I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that the video fails to say anything - does there need to be a deeper meaning?

Not a deeper meaning. Just some sort of a narrative to give the video a start, middle and end. This helps to keep the viewer interested. I don't mean you have to tell an elaborate story. But having something rather than just random clips. Will engage the viewer. This could be something as simple as people arrive, do stuff then leave. This is a narrative. It has a start, middle and an end.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Not a deeper meaning. Just some sort of a narrative to give the video a start, middle and end. This helps to keep the viewer interested. I don't mean you have to tell an elaborate story. But having something rather than just random clips. Will engage the viewer. This could be something as simple as people arrive, do stuff then leave. This is a narrative. It has a start, middle and an end.
    That makes a lot of sense, thank you!