Thread: ScreenLight Launched: Painless Video Review and Approval

Default ScreenLight Launched: Painless Video Review and Approval

After a year in private beta, ScreenLight is now available for commercial use (www.screenlight.tv). ScreenLight is a new web application built for the post-production community, providing a fast and secure way to share videos with clients, collect their feedback, and get projects approved.

ScreenLight allows editors to create private Screening Rooms, upload videos and notify project participants when videos are ready for review. Clients and other project stakeholders can log into the secure Screening Room, watch the videos, and add their comments.

ScreenLight was originally conceived to address problems I was having sharing videos with my clients. Anybody who works in this business knows the stress of tight deadlines. Having to stop in the middle of a busy edit to get screeners out to clients is always a bit of a pain. Uploading to FTPs, managing and sending out url links, keeping track of all the back and forth emails. I needed a tool that would be a centralized communication system with the specific purpose of screening videos, harnessing feedback and getting projects moved towards approval faster and more efficiently.

Making things more efficient for the editor was just one part of the equation, however. ScreenLight also needed to address the needs of the end client. We’ve all had “The video won't play on my computer” call from the client. Educating the client is a necessary part of the job - for some of them it’s their first time with the video production process – but you don’t want it to eat up too much of your time. It’s for this reason that simplicity is at the center of the ScreenLight philosophy. It allows you to keep your clients happy by providing a less stressful experience.

A subscription based service, all of ScreenLight’s paid plans include unlimited user accounts, an unlimited number of projects, SSL encryption, and the ability to brand client Screening Rooms with your logo and corporate colors. All plans also include a 30-day free trial. You can learn more at www.screenlight.tv.

Blog Entries

Don't want to put a dampner on things, but cost wise - eek! - And it seems a very expensive option when I can upload to my own site (already 'branded') or (contary to your claim) keep videos private on YouTube - (as a 'trusted' user that option exists).

Do you allow users to control the bit rate of encoding to preserve quality if required - or do users have to just settle for what they get?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. We do offer a free plan. You should give it a shot and see if that changes your mind. You are quite correct about your own site and YouTube, but ScreenLight combines the benefits of both those options (branding; security; the ability to keep all video comments centralized; automatic notifications). We built this application for that specific purpose: to combine all the benefits of existing tools into one single application, specifically built with the post-production work-flow in mind.

As for encoding, we decided early on in development that users would want to be in full control of the quality and size of the videos they uploaded. Therefore, we do not transcode on upload - users upload the video that they encoded to their spec, and that's the video that the end user sees.

Cheers,

Richard Keating

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Keating View Post
    ..As for encoding, we decided early on in development that users would want to be in full control of the quality and size of the videos they uploaded. Therefore, we do not transcode on upload - users upload the video that they encoded to their spec, and that's the video that the end user sees.
    Now that part does impress me! - Thoughtful!

Blog Entries

Personally, I would also like the option of a server encode. This would give me an option of choosing an optimsed web distribution encode, potentially at diiferent bitrate settings. That's the beauty of vimeo etc. You know that they will optimise your video for target audiences.

Transcode on upload capabilities are in the works for a future release. Users will have the option of choosing to let us do the transcoding at optimal settings, or roll their own. Our goal is to provide as much choice as possible for the user.