Thread: Please help me with some terms

Default Please help me with some terms

I'm new to this and I'm trying to maximize quality/resolution. I have a Canon HF20 and a brand new HP. I'm still trying to pick my video editor, but after trialing Pinnacle, Corel X3, and Vegas Movie Studio, I'm thinking I'm going to go with Pinnacle.

1) Can someone explain interlacing/deinterlacing? No idea what this is and how it affects quality.

2) Can someone simplify what all these video templates are? There is NTSC, PAL, HDV, DV, all with different levels of what I think are resolution and frame rate. I have no idea what all this means and how it affects my video output. The only thing I've noticed is that I tend to get the best quality the farther down the list I go (HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps tends to be the best)

3) What is p vs i? As in 25p vs 50i.

4) How do I choose frame rate? Is there a difference between 25fpi and 29.7?

If it is too much effort to type the answers, where can I read/learn about this stuff? Thanks for any help, I'm sure other newbies have similar questions. I'm moderately computer savvy, but this is a new realm for me.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries