Thread: Where on earth do I start??

Default Where on earth do I start??

My family and I love to video all of our holidays. Then we get home + I spent a long time in front of the PC transferring our memories onto a DVD. I use Windows Movie Maker as I havent a clue what else to use. I find that I can only edit about 10-15 mins at a time, as I cannot put any more than that onto a DVD at a time.

I also want to edit + transfer our pre-digital videos onto DVD.

I havent a clue where to start or whether Windows Movie Maker is any good.

Any ideas and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

I don't know what file format Windows Movie maker is doing to only get 10-15mins on a DVD but if you download a free conversion program like Any video converter you can change those files to mpeg2 format. This is the normal format for standard definition DVDs. The editing software I would recommend is Sony Vegas Movie studio is around fifty quid (50) and the best editing software of that price range, in my opinion.

There are little boxes you can get to record your VHS tapes onto your computer but I don't know much about them. BUT this video will show you what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I don't know what file format Windows Movie maker is doing to only get 10-15mins on a DVD but if you download a free conversion program like Any video converter you can change those files to mpeg2 format. This is the normal format for standard definition DVDs. The editing software I would recommend is Sony Vegas Movie studio is around fifty quid (50) and the best editing software of that price range, in my opinion.

There are little boxes you can get to record your VHS tapes onto your computer but I don't know much about them. BUT this video will show you what to do.

Thank you Midnight Blue, I will check out the video you sent after I have written this.

I have no idea what a "file format" is.

We have Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 already on our computer. My kids tell me not to use it as "it's far too complicated" but I am sure I could work it out. Is this the same Sony Vegas that everyone is talking about on here?

The file format is simply the type of video. When you see a video file in windows explorer it will be called what ever you named it eg. MyVideo and then have a file extension which is the three letters after the dot so you would see some like MyVideo.avi or MyVideo.wmv. This file extension gives you a clue as to the format or type of video. The only reason there are different formats is the same reason there are different cars. Each manufacturer will think that there car is the best for doing a certain job. It's similar with video file formats a .wmv file is similar to a .mpg file, it's just made from computer code that was written by a different manufacture. Also just like a tractor is made for a certain function ie. farming, it might get round a race track but not as fast as a sports car. They are both 4 wheeled vehicles but made for totally different functions. A Ferrari would struggle to plough a field. So there are different video formats designed to do different functions. Some formats are made easy for editing example .avi files and some formats are designed for final viewing example .vob file found on DVDs.

I hope that's not confusing for you.

Sony Vegas Pro is the program you will have read about in this forum the current version is now 9, soon to be 10 when released this month but the version you have should work well for you. I think I understand your kids trepidation but if you can get your head round Windows Movie Maker, the general principals are the same for Sony Vegas Pro, It's just a question of knowing where the different buttons etc. are to do what you want. If you start by doing simple trimming of clips and work your way up to the more fancy stuff.

Good luck.