Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: monarch

1. Question monarch

Hi there,I have just purchased a Panosonic hdc-sd60 HD Video camera.I am trying to edit the footage in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Which is supposed to handle HD.I have run into problems with playback not being smooth.Can anyone advise me if the software can handle this and if so what settings to use?

Blog Entries

When you say playback isn't smooth - do you mean the preview of the footage as your editing or the final output? If preview, try lowering to Draft (fit to window) and then go up till it gets choppy.

If you have the HD version of studio then yes the software can handle it. The more pertinent question is, can your hardware handle it. You could turn the video preview setting to Auto which will reduce the play back preview quality but not the final result. This may help with a smoother playback.

4. Question Sony vegas /SD60

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you have the HD version of studio then yes the software can handle it. The more pertinent question is, can your hardware handle it. You could turn the video preview setting to Auto which will reduce the play back preview quality but not the final result. This may help with a smoother playback.
    Thankyou for that.I will try the Auto setting.D I set the Project properties to 1920x1080 29,970 fps or 1920x1080 25 fps?

5. Default vegas / SD60

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Thanks again.My system is Intel 2 duo 2.33 ghz 3 Gig Ram.I don't think I have a dedicated graphics card.Will I be better off upgrading any hardware/

6. Default

thanks again.i have tried playing with the quality of the preview window without success.ie the playback still staggers.I have also tried rendering some footage with the same 'staggered' outcome.The only way I have managed it so far is with a converter from Aunsoft which is painful.My feeling is that it is either the hardware / Video card or the settings on Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Thankyou for that.I will try the Auto setting.D I set the Project properties to 1920x1080 29,970 fps or 1920x1080 25 fps?
    If you are in the UK (PAL) you should set the properties to 25fps if you are in the USA (NTSC) you should set it to 30fps/29.970fps.

A dual core processor is a little weak for easy HD editing but you should be able to compensate with lower preview settings. Will you be making Bluray disks or HD files as your final product. If not then save your self some frustration and render the HD footage to SD and edit with that.

8. Question Monarch

Thanks for the advice on the settings.It may be that I need to upgrade my computer as I am probably getting a Canon xha1 Camera also.My ambitions are for HD rather than standard Def.What are the requirements for the computer?

If you have a look at the Hardware section of this forum, there is lots of information about that. The general opinion is a quad core processor for HD editing. BUT like I said earlier you can get round some problems with settings.

10. Question monarch

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the settings.It may be that I need to upgrade my computer as I am probably getting a Canon xha1 Camera also.My ambitions are for HD rather than standard Def.What are the requirements for the computer?
    Can you help with the term 'avchd' format as this is what the Camera records in.It seems that I need to convert these files before dropping them into vegas? I'm hoping this is not the case ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast