Thread: Have a good day music video

Default Have a good day music video

Hello videoforum!
    Ive just started learning video editing and filming about a month ago. I watched the basic video tutorials from videocopilot and think that I already know the most basic functions and workflows. I now finished my first real attempt in making a good looking video. And with finished I mean that I dont find anymore problems, mistakes or things that I could improve by myself.

So it would be nice if you gave me some critics and improvement suggestions.

P.S: I used after effects for the editing. Camcorder was a simple Kodak Zi8.

Blog Entries

Imaginitive and interesting. I was going to suggest it could have been cut before the synth entered as the whole thing started to flag a bit, but then I thought if you'd done that I would have suggested it should have developed.
    I'm not sure all the shots worked (for example there was a very long shot of the surcface before the McD bag was placed on it - perhaps you were trying to create a sense of anticipation). I also thought the "countdown" which was a good idea was far too long (perhaps it could have been even longer, but only on the screen intermittently)
    Very enjoyable.
    Tim

Welcome to the wacky world of video making where doing one thing is wrong and then doing the opposite is also not right. The video was interesting at first. I liked the split screen and the beat with the pen. So we get to around 1:20 and I'm thinking, ok it was interesting at first but now I'm loosing interest. Then the count down came in witch pick things up again. I would have made it smaller after a few seconds though or made it a much shorter count down. I think the music should have developed much sooner this would have meant you could have cut the whole thing down to around 2 mins or at a stretch 2:30 which is long enough for me.

I didn't like seeing the word subscribe, I know it's on YouTube but it's just a personal thing. The cheeseburger gag, well maybe some people would like it, I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong I thought the video was creative and well executed for someone who has only just started. As Tim will back me up on, I would not spend so much time on a video if I didn't think it had something worthwhile.

Now the difficult bit for me. Being in front of and behind the camera is not easy. Apart from the technical issues of framing and focus etc., the talent (in front) sometimes needs direction form the people behind so they look right, I think you could have looked a bit happier as the song is called Have a nice day, instead I see you concentrating very hard on all the things you have to concentrate on, a smile would have been nice. Thats not a criticism just something to watch out for next time.

Well done.

Thanks for that input TimStannard and Midnight Blue. Well, now that you mention it, I really look kinda sad playing the bass and yes its really developing too slow. I think that were really important points. Although I wont make this one new I think you helped me a lot for my next ones. Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BamBaDaDamDam View Post
    Although I wont make this one new
    A good attitude. Unless you feel a pressing need to improve what you've already done, move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamBaDaDamDam View Post
    I think you helped me a lot for my next ones.
    Be sure to port them here.
    Tim