Thread: Sound for dance instructor

Default Sound for dance instructor

I've kind of been dragged into video production recently by a dance instructor friend who is looking to produce some instructional DVDs for his dance students.

I have already produced some "internal" training DVDs for his staff, which was OK but the sound was less than perfect - mainly because we had to use the camera's built in mic (it didn't have an external mic socket.)

This time, we should have a Panasonic HS700 available, which has an external mic socket, but I have a few questions as to what may be best to use.

He does already have 2 Shure wireless microphone setups with head sets - the receivers have XLR outputs, but I believe he has an XLR to 6.3mm jack plug lead. I'm assuming that I should be able to use one of these (with a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptor)? The receivers are mains powered, but as the camera is not moving, this shouldn't be a problem.
    I also guess I could get a lapel/lavalier mic to plug into the transmitter instead of the headset?

I had also considered getting an external recorder, but I think this may be extra hassle with syncing audio (it would mean we could use the same camera as last time). But I assume the HS700's audio (which I believe is a weak point on this camera) should be a lot better with an external microphone?

I think your on the right track. I wouldn't agree that syncing the audio from an external recorder is difficult. It is very easy just do a clap in front of the camera at the begining of each take and line up the spike in the audio with the image. If you need to record the instructor talking the radio mic will probably be the best idea.

Blog Entries

Just one other thing that occurs to me - be VERY careful with the music you use - ESPECIALLY if this this is to be a commercially available product. The copyright implications are far reaching indeed. Unless the instructor has copyright free music - do some homework.....

Thanks for the replies. He's back off holiday now, so I'll have a chat with him about it soon.

With regards to music - this is a beginner's instructional DVD, it will only really be sold at classes and via the web site, but I will try and make sure he at least uses some royalty free music.

+1 to paulears. If you really wanted to make it sound professional, you would overdub the music. I'm assuming you'd be filming on a stage and the music would be playing from some speakers or monitors. Recording music that is already coming out speakers rarely works well, especially on a stage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ginhar View Post
    +1 to paulears. If you really wanted to make it sound professional, you would overdub the music. I'm assuming you'd be filming on a stage and the music would be playing from some speakers or monitors. Recording music that is already coming out speakers rarely works well, especially on a stage.
    That's exactly what he's suggested.