Thread: Video RC model airplane questions

1. Default Video RC model airplane questions

I am shooting with a Sony VX2000. On Monday I will be shooting RC model airplanes in flight.
    The sky is bright but some of the airplanes are dark. I am concerned that the airplanes will come out under exposed. So, should I use the "N" (neutral density) button, or maybe the "Backlight" button or neither?
    I am also concerned about focus:
    Will the auto focus, focus on the clouds and not on the airplane, thus throwing the airplane out of focus? Should I use auto focus anyhow, or use manual focus, or possiby set focus to infinity?
    Sure hope I can get some advice on this before Monday.

I don't know the camera, so it's a general answer.
    The backlight button is the thing to use for this genre, and perhaps any exposure compensation on top of that. Focus is difficult. If you keep the aircraft in the centre of the frame, autofocus should cope, but it can be difficult especially if you have no idea where the plane is going next. As it gets smaller in the frame, if the camera starts hunting, use manual focus if you have it. If the manual focus is not on a ring, then infinity or just short of it should cope relatively well. It is one of those subjects where a bit of trial and error is normally needed to get the best results depending on the camera.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I'd go along with what Ian said. With your camera, I'd keep everything on manual so the camera isn't trying to compensate for the over exposed sky. The ND filter sounds like a good idea as well but until you know exactly what the conditions are you won't really know, you could use a polarising filter if you have one . As Ian said do some testing before you go on the shoot.

The trouble with polarising filters is they change their effect dependent on their angle to the light, which in this case is constantly changing! :(
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

That's true but can't you get directional ones and non directional ones OR have I got confused something wrong. I was thinking it only changed if you twist it on the lens.

It changes as you twist it, but also as you twist (if you see what I mean!) Therefore, as you follow a moving target, the effect will change in the same way that it does as you turn the filter.
    You can get two type, circular and linear, but the autofocus systems on most camcorders don't like the linear variety so for the most part you are restricted to the circular type, unless of course you have a camera with a decent manual focus system that you are practiced at using. Polarising filters also act in the same way as density filters, reducing the amount of light reaching the sensor, so again, not too good for fast moving objects!
    In this case I'd be more inclined to use exposure compensation or backlight controls (same thing, different name).

Thanks for putting me straight on that Ian.

You're welcome.