Thread: General Advise

Default General Advise

Hi guys, I've always had a passion for making fan videos, but have never really gotten into in any great detail.

It's been a while since I've created a video so I'm looking for some up to date advise on what codecs to use for the best video quality on youtube. Also, aspect ratios and other basic info is needed.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supes View Post
    ... so I'm looking for some up to date advise on what codecs to use for the best video quality on youtube. Also, aspect ratios and other basic info is needed....

YouTube accepts a wide range of video file formats.The video files below are all accepted by YouTube. Some video formats work best and are most compatible with certain computers, software or devices.
    • Windows Media Video(.AVI)
    • .3GP (mobile phones)
    • .WMV (windows)
    • .MOV (mac)
    • .MP4 (iPod/PSP)
    • .MPEG
    • .FLV (Adobe Flash)
    • .MKV (h.264)

If you do not think that your current video file format is recognised by YouTube, you may get the best uploading results from converting your file to MPEG4 video with MP3 audio. You can also review recommended video file formats here.
    To convert any video format to one of the accepted formats, it is recommended that you use FFMPEG. FFMPEG is a command-line tool, so you may like to use free or commercial software to help convert your file. You can find this type of software easily by [url][url]searching the web for a video converter.
    Windows Movie Maker, by default, saves projects as .MSWMM files. .MSWMM files are project files (which means that the file only contains the layout of your video and does not contain the final video itself). YouTube does not accept .MSWMM files. To upload your Windows Movie Maker video to YouTube, select the "Save to My Computer" option to save the file in an accepted format. You can then upload the generated file to YouTube.
    Keep in mind that each time you convert or "transcode" a video from one type of compression to another, there will be some loss in quality, similar to making a photocopy of a photocopy.
    Avoid transcoding a highly compressed video into a format that is accepted, as this produces poor results. You'll get better results by going back to your original video-editing software (where you initially edited the video) and re-exporting in a format such as MPEG4 with MP3 audio. If that is not an option, exporting the file as a RAW (uncompressed) video format, then encoding it in an [url][url]external programme is another alternative.

updated 30/9/2010

That's great, Andy, thanks!

After decrypting a DVD what codec is generally used for best quality on youtube when converting to AVI? I previously used FFD, but youtube has moved on a great deal since then. I was considering just editing the video in it's raw form (forgive the lack of technical knowledge), but wasn't sure if there was a simpler solution with the same result?

Hi, Andy. Having sat down and read your post properly, I have found pretty much all of the information I needed.

Thanks again.

hi Andy,
    May be you could give me some advice ... since I'm completely newbie to Video World.
    Here is my goal and what I'm doing to achieve it:
    1. I take a video clip using my mobile phone DroidX which claims to have 8Mp camera, HDTV and etc. The quality of the clip is quite acceptable for me i.e. I could watch it on my phone ...
    2. Now the goal is to edit it and publish on YouTube. I have Corel VideoStudio 2010. First I import my clips into VideoStudio. Then I edit it mostly by cutting some pieces of it. The format my phone save it is 3gp and as long as I edit it in VideoStudio they get converted to .vsx format.
    3. After I modified my clips I create a movie in VideoStudio. That part is OK and at the end I have to save movie to some format before uploading it to YouTube. And here is the problem ... it offers various formats to save .... so I tried to save either to mp4 or 3gp or etc and then upload it but every time the quality is extremely bad i.e. much worse it was originally I took on my phone.
    4. Andy ... could you please give me advice or steps what you'd recommend me to do in order to use my VideoStudio and not loose that much quality of the video.
    Thanks in advance ...