Thread: Never say you'll edit a friends video

Blog Entries

Default Never say you'll edit a friends video

A work colleague gave me 2 hours of holiday footage to make a home movie. She'd never used a camcorder before, and frankly you could tell . So after 2 nights of playing around, I end up with a 45 second video. Erm, okay, maybe I was a tad harsh in my editing .

Anyway, this is a rough WIP (it needs tidying up in a lot places)

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/loop-2.wmv

She'd also filmed a bull fight which she asked me to edit... but I don't think I should really post that here...

Eheh, well you certainly made something better of it with editing. The cuts play nicely with the track.
    Who shares wins

Impressive outcome. Excellent synching of video splits to sound sound.

Blog Entries

Cheers. I think I got way too carried away with synching the video cuts and Picture in Picture to the beats of the music though. Used it as a way of practising in Premiere Pro though, so I tried to do a different "technique" for every section. I like the one where the girls waving her hand and the picture toggles from forward to rewind best

One thing that didn't work which I thought would be the best was to zoom in at each beat on someone or something. For some reason it just looked odd. I guess i could have tried taking a few frames out at each beat too.

I'd also realised on my previous video and watching other movies with PIP that when clips "cross over" one another, it looks best to keep a black bar seperating one clip from another. If you don't have that bar when the clips are moving it just looks wrong. Check out the Leeds video to see what I mean: I split the screen into 3 segments, then expanded the middle segment over the top of the left and right thirds to cover the whole screen, whilst maintaing the black bars whilst the picture expands.

Very nice. You've taken some shaky footage and managed to get it together in a coherent form, although it still shows that the camerawork is very amateur. Biggest mistake people make is thinking that pans and zooms will look OK when you play them back, and they don't. You have to dose those effects.

I'm itching to get a camera again, in order to post something; all my old stuff is footage which is without great interest :cry:

Blog Entries

Zooming and transitions - two ways to make your video look instantly amateur

I liked the sync with the audio, very slick. Made me dizzy after a bit though, so I wouldnt have like half an hour of it.

Though the attempts to cover up the amatuer holiday video look were impressive.

Blog Entries

I agree - any more than thirty seconds would make anyone feel dizzy