Thread: Chuck that old HD TV in the skip...

Blog Entries

Default Chuck that old HD TV in the skip...

Yep, Full HD tv is dead.... The Beeb and some clever chaps in Japan have produced a new format call Super High Vis - Sixteen times as sharp as rubbishy old 'HD' and a staggering 7680x4320 pixels. Transmits over the internet at 350 mega bits per second. Oh Dear.... another trip to the electrical store soon then...

BBC News - 'Historic' broadcast of super HD from UK to Japan

Blog Entries

I saw it demonstrated at IBC.... Mind blowing.

It is so sharp and realistic, much more so than 3D for example. I mean the picture looks much more realistic than 3D with ultra HD you really feel that you are looking at a window, not a screen.

The problem is the technology required to produce the images, the cameras get so hot that they need a handful of fans to keep then from melting. They are also massive, no way could you hand-hold one, they're the size of the old studio TV cameras from the 60s and 70s.

It will be at least ten years (probably fifteen) before it's available for consumers but it will come, unlike 3D which, despite the hype, will never be mainstream.

Blog Entries

Watching 'Click' this morning - the presenter said there's only three of these cameras in existence so far.

Inevitable though that HD would only be a transitional format - technology is advancing at such a pace that I don't think it'll ever settle down like it did in the 70's when colour arrived in the UK. The world is set for an ever improving range of viewing options.

Blog Entries

Crazy.

A company I do work for is building a new OB truck from scratch, costing 4 million. Not only HD but 1080p and 3D capable. The boss has got completely caught up in the hype since there are no delivery platforms for either at the moment, apart from a half-hearted Sky effort. None of the cable providers can deal with either 3D or 1080p.

He thinks he's going to be one of the first on the block, I have a feeling that he'll end up with an impressive but under-used truck.

HD will be standard within five years but 3D will end up as a bit of Sky-sports fun and Ultra-HD is a decade away.

In my opinion... but then in the past, I've bought 8 track, a betamax video recorder and mini-disc gear so maybe I'm not the best oracle about the future.

Well betamax was better quality than VHS. I don't know why it lost the format war. I guess the same way that DH DVD is better quality than Bluray but lost out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post

In my opinion... but then in the past, I've bought 8 track, a betamax video recorder and mini-disc gear so maybe I'm not the best oracle about the future.
    i was a big fan of minidisc. so much easier and convieninent to edit than the CDR format that was around at the time .