Thread: Vlogs

Wink Vlogs

Something that doesn't get spoken about very much amongst videographers/filmmakers making short films, is video blogging, or vlogging.

I just thought I'd open up a little thread to see what people think about them. Do you think they're a good form of entertainment? Do they lessen your professional credibility?

Does anyone watch vlogs? The only one I really follow is Shane Dawson, although I have started looking around recently to see what others are doing, and it's scary to see how many people feel their lives are interesting enough to share with the world, especially when their first vlog is a "I don't know what I want to do with this".

So yeah, just opening up discussion. Vlogs are frowned upon by some, but what do you think?

Blog Entries

Personally - I can't think of anything duller than sitting and watching someone rambling on about their so called 'life'. Except watching Star Wars in 3d.

There'll be (possibly) one in a zillion that might be even remotely interesting. And I seriously couldn't be arsed to try finding it.

Blog Entries

I'm with Andy. And I include blogging in the same category.

If someone ever posts a vlog or blog that's remotely interesting, it'll be picked up by someone else and links circulated.

I don't particularly care if that means I don't get to see it the moment it's posted.

EDIT: Addendum.
    There are instances where I think vlogs and blogs are valid and that is when someone is keeping a diary of events for a specific purpose. Such purposes may include a family member on their travels keeping in touch with their friends and family or updates from an ongoing experiment (eg daily news of whats (not) happening with the Large Hardon Collider)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm with Andy
    Are we just a pair of grumpy old f***ers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Are we just a pair of grumpy old f***ers?
    Of course! (Whatever a grumpy old fitter is)

I think we've just got better (which I realise is subjective) things to do with our time.

I spend far more than enough time as it is just keeping up with personal emails (and it's not like I have many friends who contact me that way) and this forum. At least that stuff has a good chance of being of interest to me.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I'd agree with Tim (and Andy). As you say Rob, Vlogs typically start out with "so, not sure where to start". Well... maybe start by having a purpose? There seems to be a general, "I'm doing this because I can" attitude in most things internet related. But that's rarely a good motivation behind anything.

For example, every so often people post links to their new video editing blog / forum / website. It seems they think all they have to do is post their link and everyone will come flooding in. They underestimate the input required to get a website up and running...

Vlogs / Blogs with a purpose are fine. Those published "because people can" are rarely entertaining or educational.

in a similar vain I used to watch
    'Unemployed Skeletor'
    and
    'Ask a Ninja.'

Those had a bit of purpose, structure and comedy which is important. I would much rather create a fictional vlog such as these and provide some source of entertainment than just documenting a plain old life.

However, I do vaguely keep one myself, purely because I know a couple of companies I've worked for look at it from time and it was, at one stage, a requirement for my university course.
    And to be honest, its more of a chore to keep up :/
    But for the benefit of those who like to be nosey and check up on me, it can sometimes generate a bit of work.
    So personal ones can have there benefits to the individual behind them at times.

But the ones without purpose, yeah they're dull.

I totally get vlogs, but I am a vlogger/short film maker so I guess I'm biased

Since starting the thread, I've actually been trying out vlogging myself.
    It's definitely a very different medium to normal film-making, but I try and include footage from things I do away from the computer which keeps it interesting.

I've spoken to a lot of people since starting this test/process/vlog/thing, and learnt a list of what not to do. It's quite long.
    I see benefit in vlogging by the fact that I've been able to build up a larger group of subscribers on youtube than with my normal film account. While that's somewhat depressing, it's actually good in a way. These are people that will regularly come back and interact with me, and support what I am doing. So when it comes to a time when I need to get the word out about a new film or project, I already have a large, growing number of people on standby to listen, and take action.

Then there's the other side of it as Andy and Tim are saying. Vlogs can get very dull, and usually have little purpose.
    I still get bored watching most peoples' vlogs, and I still worry that vlogging may be showing too much of your everyday life to current and future employers.