Thread: I have 26 hours of DV video to edit. How best to organise?

Default I have 26 hours of DV video to edit. How best to organise?

I'm looking for any tips you may have to manage a large project.

I have completed a round the world trip and have 26 hours of video recorded on Mini-DV tapes.
    How best should I manage this in Premiere Elements?

Do I create 1 large project and import all video from tape and then edit to multiple DVDs?
    Do I split the importing into multiple jobs?

What do you think?

Any ideas welcome.

Blog Entries

In my experience, many editing applications become sluggish when dealing with a high volume of files , particulalry when loading up the project. With so many hours of video, it's likely you'll end up with a hit on performance eventually. There's therefore a greater risk that your project will become corrupt.

Personally I would break the project up into seperate, logical, components (for example based on region). Once you've completed these seperate projects, you can import them all into a master project, and join the sequences (or render each individual project and combine in a new one). This will ensure that any corruption won't ruin the whole project.

As I say, I advise of this based on exeperience of large projects becoming unresponsive and rarely corrupt. It's also a good way of logically dividing your project.

I'd separate it down into places and then pick out the most significant or 'best' moments, then go from there.

Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands

Like said before: think about how you want to spread your material on different DVD's. Make a project for each DVD and load the tapes you need for it.
    Within your project:
    use bins to organise your material. Different locations in different bins if you load all takes separately. (This enables you to delete crappy takes).
    If you load a tape as a whole, but there are different locations/subjects on it: make a few sequences where you can drop the part about 1 subject: this will make scrolling through your material easier.

26 hours of DV should be do-able: both my graduation movies where above 20 hours of DV and that was 4 years ago. The factor that slows down loading a project is not just how long the footage is, but how many files, how many sequences, how many cuts and how many previewfiles the project has.
    I would suggest to keep your project on a (big and fast) external harddisk and your preview files on an internal harddisk (but not the same as your 'systemdisk'). This will speed up rendering previews in most cases and it prevents your external gets filled up and slowed down by previewfiles.

Anyway: allways organize your bins, no matter how big your project: