Thread: Converting MTS file results in doubled duration

Default Converting MTS file results in doubled duration

Hi all

I'm completely new to digital video and suspect that I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but...

I'm trying to convert AVCHD (MTS format) files into a more generally accessible format (MPG, MP4, etc.)

I'm using the freeware Oxelon Media Converter v1.1 to carry out the conversion. The first couple of attempts resulted in a successful conversion. However, all subsequent conversion attemps have resulted in an MPG or MP4 file which is twice the duration of the original file. The audio stream sounds fine but ends exactly half way through the video, while the video stream appears to be playing in slow motion. I'm guessing this has something to do with frame rate, but I get the same result no matter what settings I use for conversion.

I'd be grateful for any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

David

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums David. It might be worth mentioning why you're attempting to encode the AVCHD files. We may be able to help you edit these generally, or point you in another direction...

Hi Marc

Thanks for the quick response.

These are live music videos of my son's rock band. My sole reason for conversion is to make the files more accessible. I'm looking to convert to a more compact format which is readily viewable and ideally, suitable for use on a website.

I've obviously made some unintentional change to the settings in the Oxelon software, but I now get the same result no matter what further changes I make, which is making it rather difficult to identify the problem. My lack of knowledge in this area is also a drawback!

Regards,

David

Blog Entries

If you're not looking to edit the video first, you could try uploading straight to YouTube or Vimeo.

Not really looking to upload them to YouTube. Just want to make them available for the band to use on their website.

Blog Entries

Then I would almost certainly recommend using YouTube or Vimeo. Both these companies have invested considerable resources into conversion and web optimisation. You can embed your converted videos (at very high quality) into any web page. This will therefore solve two issues: conversion and distribution.

Thanks Marc.

I'll give it a shot.