Thread: I'm dropping frames when capturing via firewire!Help needed !!!!!!!!!

Default I'm dropping frames when capturing via firewire!Help needed !!!!!!!!!

I have read what it says on the FAQ but was wondering if anybody has any other advice.

The pc I have got is brand new and has been made as a video editing PC so I dont think defragmenting the hard drive would make much differents.

Sombody mentioned to me that the norten anti virus might be causing a problem but I and not sure.

Anybody got any ideas???

I've known Norton AV to cause problems when capturing also fire walls. Do you have a TV card in the PC. make sure your computer is pointing at the right device. Is it a 64 bit version of Winows, is your camera compatable with that.

Is the camera head clean. Just a few ideas.

Quiet new to video editing at this level so these questions might seem stupid.

Turned the norton off but did not seem to make a difference.

As for pointing in the right direction,an you expand on this please.

Thanks for your time.

Check that your capture software has selected the right capture device.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Check that your capture software has selected the right capture device.
    Well I presume I have been doing that.

• I select the camera Icon on sony vegas 9
    • then I select the DV option on the next box
    • then a whole new window pops up in which the video I am trying to captures appears,with the dropped frames when it is transfering the footage
    I think the problem must be some where with the software because when I transfer direct to the PC I dont have any problems with dropped frames.

I am using sony vegas pro 9.Any idea which settings could be causing this problem?

The way to check is to open up the video capture as you have been, then click on the video menu option this will show you a list of possible capture devices. It could only have one item on it. As you are seeing your video and it starts capturing it's unlikely to be set wrong.

You are using Fire wire and not USB aren't you ?

Other potential problems are dodgy cables or sockets. Do you have another fire wire cable you can use to test it.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.

If your quite new, as you said previously, im going to state the obvious.

Double check wether you have recorded in PAL or NTSC on the camera and then make sure you are sucking your stuff in to match this

when i was a total noob I had this problem after recording in PAL and then forgetting to set up my editing software properly, left it in NTSC and then went insane trying to figure out what I'd done wrong for a couple hours.