Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New skim edit

1. Default New skim edit

Thoughts? Tips?

Blog Entries

I liked the opening shots with the ttles very much: the roof, the feet walking along the sand, Mark with his cigarette. Indeed all of the cutaways were interesting and/or entertaining.

Sadly the main "meat" of the film didn't work so well. Whilst it was clear and nice and steady it suffered in a number of ways.

Lighting. The background was brighter than the subject making Mark appear as a virtual silhouette in nearly all the surf shots. Sea is bright and reflective - it's really important to get the sun behind you for these shots.

Composition. We could have done with much more variety of shots of Mark surfing. Virtually all of them were fairly wide angle showing the whole of Mark and his board. This is great for analysis of what he's doing but not so for watching shot after shot. Try to get in with some mid shots and close-ups.

Similarly all the shots showed him travelling left to right across the screen. Indeed some of the sequences were virtual repeats - it made for a very repetitive film.

This is a shame because you clearly have a talent for this. The rest of the film is very good and you've edited it together at what I think is just the right pace, sympathetically with a good choice of music to give it a relaxed feel. The effects were only a little more than I would like, but I think necessary in this sort of video.

So, my only tip really is work on shooting better lit and more varied action footage.
    Tim

Like your last one this has great potential and you show you have a good eye for a shot but not you can let your self down with a lack of consistency. I know it's harder to shoot action than still things. If I was you, I'd get out and practise your weakest points, then analyse these shots for your self and see where they can be improved. Then go out and apply what you learnt. Then anayse that footage see if it is really better and what makes it better.

Doing that will bring you up from being a fair movie maker to some thing much better.

I think Tim and Midnight have pretty much covered it.
    I would lengthen the transition at 25ish seconds, I'm gussing its placed there to go with the music, which is nice but is a bit too distracting and not too easy on the eye. Maybe just a touch more on it.

I love this site for what you can learn as a beginner, I really do.

I watched that video and the mixture of a nice track and interesting shots made me enjoy it very much. I didn't really notice anything "wrong" until I read the comments, re-watched the video, and agreed to a point with the comments made.

While I think that the silhouette is a fair criticism, I don't think it ruined the video in any way. I quite liked that "silhouette" effect in this instance.

Maybe I am always watching and thinking that what I see is what was intended, and not looking for reasons on how it could be improved. Hopefully I will learn some of that, while keeping some of my gullible innocence :o)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    Hopefully I will learn some of that, while keeping some of my gullible innocence :o)
    Before long you won't be able to watch any films (or TV) without an internal critique. You'll find yourself making mental notes of what "works" to borrow or, just as often, thinking why something didn't work / is overused etc.

7. Default

Thanks everyone for the tips

i enjoyed the intro. & some of the shots were great...but i agree with most when i say that from 0:28 on was weak due to the fact it seemed to be repetitive(same angle) & the visual on Marc wasn't the greatest. except 0:34<<<GREAT SHOT with the surf board in front of the shot.
    Last edited by AlexJoachim; 10-01-2010 at 11:10 AM.

It's not absolutely essential to have the sun behind you, as Tim states, but it is essential to have the camera exposing for the subject.
    Manually setting the camera to expose for the subject is possible on most camcorders and although it may blow out some of the background detail, in fast action shots like these it is unlikely to detract from the shots. (But remember you have the camera set to manual for the next shot, which may need adjusting!)

Agree with most of the other comments.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    It's not absolutely essential to have the sun behind you, as Tim states,

OK, let me rephrase:

"It's really important to get the sun behind you for these shots unless you are happy to expose for the subject and live with the highs blowing out."

In all seriousness, Ian, what you say about whether the action is fast moving or not is an important consideration. A couple of weeks ago I was shooting some abseilers agains a very white sky and exposing for the subjects. As the movement was slow and the background blown out, the shots are pretty horrible. I had to choose between those which show the profiles and faces of the abseilers and the better quality shots which only showed them from behind.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast