Thread: Sony Vegas Pro 10

Default Sony Vegas Pro 10

I see that Sony will be releasing Vegas Pro 10 on the 11th of October. I don't know what the upgrade price is. The retail price is around 500-550

I was wondering how many people will be upgrading from Pro 9. I'm just disappointed that they haven't kissed and made up with Panasonic so they will be able to deal with the Panasonic P2 card mxf files with out another $120 for the Raylight plug in.

I'm thinking of going back to Edius they have released a new version 6 and they cope with my file type as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was wondering how many people will be upgrading from Pro 9. I'm just disappointed that they haven't kissed and made up with Panasonic so they will be able to deal with the Panasonic P2 card mxf files with out another $120 for the Raylight plug in.
    I refuse to upgrade further. That last upgrade required me to get the Raylight in order to use my new Panasonic P2 card camera. That last upgrade also rendered over $1,000 worth of Boris plugins useless. I'm tired of this game.

Edit: And I'm also through with upgrading my editing workstation's Windows operating system. I'm sticking with XP.

And while I'm at it, if that damn pop-up to upgrade my Quicktime software appears again, I'm going to delete Quicktime.

But why stop there. I'm going to get rid of Divx.

Midnight: You have struck a nerve. Viva la revolution!!!
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-28-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Blog Entries

There's definately good economic sense behind not buying every upgrade. I only tend to upgrade Premiere when the new release provides something I couldn't do before. Jumping a few releases doesn't normally cost any more, but saves the cost of the intermediate releases.

Rather frustratingly, I upgraded to Premiere CS4 before my hardware was up to coping with the software's updates. A significant investment with no return.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Blog Entries

It's a mugs game and I'm probably going to be one of the mugs.

I can see nothing in v10 which will make any difference to me - especially as I'm still happily working away in SD land.
    However, the release of a new version generally means the outstanding issues (bugs) with previous versions are abandoned. And,yes, even in SD I get some of the annoying Vegas bugs (the "media offline" problem, in particular).

So I'll no doubt blindly follow the upgrade pathy and exchange a few niggles that I'm aware of for a whole bunch of new ones which I'll have the pleasure of discovering.
    Tim

I see this has really struck a nerve Digger, I do agree with you, it's a bit of a slap in the face when customer loyalty ends up costing hundreds of dollars extra because of their inconsideration.

Marc seems to have the right idea, why upgrade if it doesn't bring anything new to the table. To be honest I am disappointed in the lack of anything significant or new in version 10, apart from a useless, to me, 3D options. I wish they would stop pushing 3D so much. It seems like thats the only thing they talk about at the TV trade shows, 3D this 3D that etc.

It does seem to be a bit of a mine field, this upgrading thing, I've recently changed to Win7 64bit and found there are a lot of incompatability problems, not with Sony Vegas, but other things.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So I'll no doubt blindly follow the upgrade pathy and exchange a few niggles that I'm aware of for a whole bunch of new ones which I'll have the pleasure of discovering.
    Let me know how it goes Tim. I'd like to know if the one new thing that might be useful works well. The camera shake fixer thingy. Or if there is indeed more to the new version than I have read.

Blog Entries

The camera shake fixer thingy.
    I'm not getting my hopes up about that. The blurb says "in association with ProDAD". ProDAD make Mercalli, a well known DeShaker. Which I already own and, whilst I understand many people have had success with it, I have generally found the VirtualDub/Deshaker script better.
    Now ProDAD has just released version 2 of Mercalli which has had some great reviews. I was considering the upgrade (sucker).
    Am I overly suspiscious when I suspect that the Vegas 10 plug-in is based on Mercalli version 1???
    Tim

Blog Entries

It's some years since I used a deshaker plugin, but back then i was less than impressed. It eliminated the shake well, but at the expense of way too much quality. Have things improved much?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Marc seems to have the right idea, why upgrade if it doesn't bring anything new to the table. To be honest I am disappointed in the lack of anything significant or new in version 10, apart from a useless, to me, 3D options. I wish they would stop pushing 3D so much. It seems like thats the only thing they talk about at the TV trade shows, 3D this 3D that etc.
    Yea, well it has just been announced that Lucas is going to re-release the Star Wars movies in 3D, starting in 2012 (I just blogged elsewhere). With the current push to get digital projection into movie theaters, and the production of 3D HD sets, I think 3D may take off, this time around. That being said, I have no intention of upgrading my systems. I'm holding out until holographs hit the market.