Thread: Buying HD Camera To Shoot Exercise Videos - Which one of these?

Default Buying HD Camera To Shoot Exercise Videos - Which one of these?

I'm a total noob, so please pardon the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've read Mark W's very useful guide http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...at-camera.html

I've also done some research on the web. However, I could still easily be fooled by a salesperson into buying an inferior camera so I want to make sure I get this right. That's why I'm here to ask you experts.

I've put my laptop specs in my profile, but let me know if you need anything else.

My budget would be 500 - 600 max.

Basically, I want to shoot HD tutorials of various exercises for my clients. I may make this into a DVD as well, so it needs to be DVD quality.

There doesn't need to be any fancy editing but I want to narrate certain parts so one of those clip-on mics would be necessary.

(1) Do camcorders come with these studio mics? (sorry if that's not what you call them). If not, where would you pick one up?

(2) Do they come with editing software or do I need to buy that separately?

(3) Should I go for a hard drive camcorder?

(4) I have found the following 3 camcorders on Amazon that look good but I have no idea what they are really like...

Sony HDR-HC3 High Definition Camcorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NNRQ591KL.@@AMEPARAM@@31NNRQ591KL
    Panasonic - HDC-DX1 - High Definition Mini DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XH28hyyiL.@@AMEPARAM@@31XH28hyyiL
    Panasonic SD600 Full HD 1920x1080p Camcorder with 3MOS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WaP%2BJBYjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41WaP%2BJBYjL
    That last one is 1080p, that's good, right? But I know it's not the only consideration.

Do you think they would fit the bill?

I have an HDMI input on my laptop as well if that's important.

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Everybody is queing up to help, I notice..... I have the last of the 3 camera's you list, the Panasonic HDC-SD600. Great picture quality but humn......moving subjects..... I often film trains & sometimes aircraft, static & in motion. Motion with the HD camera's does not seem to be stepless & smooth. I record in the 1920 50P format for maximum resolution. I don't know enough about other camera's, nor can I recommend the best one but I can tell you about my own..

Oh, other questions you asked:
    a) built in only mike
    b) there is a basic editing software CD included, I find Windows movie live works fine also
    c) despite being a SD card memory, there is plenty to use on a 32GB SDHC Sandisc card
    d) hope I have answered that for you
    e) will send you a PM with link to my You-tube

Many thanks for your help, Barry! I'll check out your PM now.