Thread: Artifacts after video capture.

Default Artifacts after video capture.

Hi,
    I am new to this forum. Infact very new. I have a strange problem and need some help in this. I have a Sony digicam which is about 5 yrs old. It uses casettes to record the video. When I capture the video with a video editing software artifacts appears in the captured video. They are like block pixels all over the video and it is very difficult to watch or edit. But if I directly connect my digicam to the TV and watch it, the video is crystal clear. Can anyone please tell me how to remove these blocks so that the video appears clear. Please help me.

Regards
    Debabrata

Please somebody help me. I need to know how to remove these blocks.

Blog Entries

Soudds to me as if your PC is not capable of sustaining the bitrate required to capture DV and you are getting "dropouts".

Or mayve you are tryig to capture using USB?

Capturing of DV tapes must be done over firewire.
    Tim

Yes, I am capturing over USB.

Like Tim said, When you captrue video from a digital camera like yours you need to use a firewire cable (IEEE1394) or Sony may refer to it as iLink.

USB can't cope properly with the data transfer unless you have USB3 which is quite new.

Thank you for your inputs. So in this case do I need to get a firewire card installed in my desktop PC?

Blog Entries

Yes. It's a simple job to do yourself. Windows will just recognise it. Any cheap firewire card will do the job (those which are more expensive tend to include software which you won't use).

Alternatively get a friend whi has fierewire tcapture it and tranfer the captured avi files to your PC.
    Tim

Hi Tim/Midnight Blue. I have no words to thank you. I got a firewire card, installed it and captured the video. The blocks are gone and I can get a clear video now. Thank you so much for your help and assistance. I was struggling to get a solution to this problem for quite some time now. I will require one more helo from you. Can you please tell me which is a good editing software that I can use?

Thank you all again for your assistance on this.

I'm very please that your problem got sorted.

As for what editing software to use ! Thats a hard one it depends on a lot of factors. Budget, skill level, what sort of thing you want to produce etc.

I would advise you to try out Windows Movie Maker as it's free and on your computer now. When you have got a feel of it and what is involved with editing, then look at what you want to be able to produce and read reviews about different NLEs (editing programs).

Having said all that, Sony Vegas Media studio is probably a good entry level NLE for you.

Sorry im new at this Forum, but i wantet to ask you, how can i record an video for 24 hours?