Thread: anything better than Windows Movie Maker that is free???

Default anything better than Windows Movie Maker that is free???

Hi All,
    I was using windows movie maker and have come to really hate it. does anyone know of any free software that you might think is better that the WMM??? I tried some of the ones on this forum, but they were demo versions. I am a college student in the USA and have no money to spend on more software. thanks for any help...
    take care
    Jarrod

Hi.

When I was starting out I used free trials of MPEG Video Wizard because I hated Windows Movie Maker so much. You can go to their site and download 30 day trials as many times as you want, in fact that's what I did when I was starting my business in the UK.

It's a good solid editor and has lots of nice features, the learning curve is pretty shallow as well, it;s not like picking up After Effects and just trying to have a bash on it and getting hopelessly lost.

You can download a trial from here: MPEG editor and DVD editor- Womble Multimedia, Inc., I think it costs about 40 ($60) to buy but by the time I'd exhausted the potential of the free trials I had moved on to Adobe Premiere Elements, which is about the same cost and has better features.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Blog Entries

It might help if you were more specific about what you've come to hate about WMM. I seem to recall it's very good value
    Tim

I don't think so, WMM in someway has it own positive features, at laest it enough for me

Website Development
    Last edited by Littlejenny; 10-05-2010 at 05:29 AM.

5. Default

The failing with WLMM is the single audio track. The inability to drop in dialogue, narration, sound effects and ambient noise makes sound editing a pain. You can pre-mix externally and import but without visual cues it's not very intuitive. Or have I missed something?