Thread: New DVD's on old players - What's that all about????

Default New DVD's on old players - What's that all about????

Hi all,

I've been told that my lattest DVD's might not be playing because the player may be to old to read the DVD. Even if the player is less than a year old!!

Can anyone advise on how I can get the DVD's to play on older players, as some of the people i'm passing them on to might not have new players.

Searched the forum but can't find any topics on this.

redbear

Best thing I can suggest is to write to DVD-Rs as opposed to DVD+R discs, but even then, that's not guaranteed to work.

If that doesn't work, then generally speaking it's, erm, tough :-S

Blog Entries

Do you mean comercial DVDs or recordable DVDs? Check videohelp.com for discs compatible with your player(s). People do like to speak so much bollocks when it comes to video editing - generalisations like, "you're DVD player is too old" ain't helpful to you is it?

Simply chose a decent brand of DVD-R and you'll be fine.

Recordable not commercial. My player reads all my commercial DVD's but doesn't like ones I am authoring. The recordable also play in the PC (powerDVD) fine enough.

I'm new to authoring and using TMPGEnc. Maybe it's a setting I am using?? as the disc are a good brand. I'll check VideoHelp for compatibility.

I've also exported through Premiere Pro direct to DVD with some success, although the footage is prone to 'freezing' in some instances. This is why i've chosen to go the authoring route. Also for better quality and menu's.

redbear

Red in the other forum I was refuring to my DVD player being only 9 months old and not being able to play Burned media. Weather its DVD-R or +R or whatever. But I asure you that there is a firmwear proplem with older DVD player reading media that was put on blank DVD.

No worries mate. Thanks for your help.

I'm new to DVD authoring and it seems to me that, as I've read elswhere in this forum, DVD production at domestic level is still in fairly early days and will take time to be refined as CD has become. Hardware is in the same place.

Thanks for the post Shock

redbear
    Pentium 4, 768mb SDRam, Ge Force FX520, XP,Premiere Pro, TMPGEnc