Thread: Rendering HD video crashes Vegas Studio 9

Default Rendering HD video crashes Vegas Studio 9

Trying to find an existing thread related to this but not sure I've found an answer. I have been using Studio Platinum 9.0b for a year or two, no problems, however only with 720x480 DV video. I just tried rendering a very small DVD with 1920x1080 H.264 video from a Canon EOS T1i camera, and I've found that HD video cannot be rendered with Vegas Studio - crashes the application. I have read forums where "fancy" effects can cause this problem, so I removed every single transition in my 4 minute movie but it merely extended the crash out to about 6 minutes.

I have consistently replicated the issue - it renders the HD video, but as soon as I include a still picture after the Canon camera video, Vegas Studio crashes (whether I use the fancy transition or just the mere presence of the still picture). With NO transition effects, I was able to extend the crash from ~4 minutes out to ~6 mintues - it will render SOME of the video, but once it hits that critical time mark, the next HD rendering finishes, and then Vegas Studio kills itself (completely shuts down, no message, disappears completely) and this only seems to happen when I include a still picture after the video.

My computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435MT with a 2.93 Ghz cpu and 6Gb of memory (64-bit OS). Seems I have the power, any ideas here on how to get this simple little HD video to render???

Have you altered the HD template you are using in any way ? I hate this sort of glitch. I use to have a similar problem when rendering mpg2 from my own template but I never found out why. If you can't fix you problem you could try downloading the Pro version just to get your project done.

I just vaguely remember a similar problem with stills, the solution was to change the format of the still but I can't remember what format to change it to, sorry.

Good luck.

Hmmmm, I'll look at this however I suspected the same. In my testing, I removed all of the pictures from the Canon camera and I replaced them with stills from my daughter's school video, which I successfully created in a previous video project (using SD video) and it was a good 30 minutes long with no rendering problems.

Are you suggesting that, regardless of my "successful" video using those stills, that perhaps when I use these stills with the HD video, it presents a problem? I'll have to check the format of both of these pictures, I suspect they are identical hence my question/concern that I may not have a solution. Thank you for the reply.

p.s. I'll also look at the Pro download suggestion, thanks for that tip
    Last edited by tklieber; 09-17-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Pro 9 worked perfect, thanks for the suggestion. Unless I'm mistaken, Studio Platinum *does* support HD video correct? Sure would like to get my first investment "fixed" before upgrading! Thanks for your help

I presume you have the HD version. Like these.

I have Movie Studio 9 (Platinum, Version 9.0b Bulid 92), not what you reference. However, the package clearly says "Edit HD" and has the features similar to the "10" version although I don't have a comparison tool to reference.

I found an FAQ on Sony ( Program hangs while rendering or during editing ) which is the closest I could find relating to my issues, and I've tried all solutions except the recommendation of dividing my project into a gazillion pieces.

I had another (undocumented here) problem that DVD Architect Pro ALSO fixed (downloaded that with Pro 9) - I just can't believe my 27 minute DVDs are pushing the limits of Studio Platinum, although that seems to be the case since the Pro versions resolve the isses without not having to do anything to my work. Am I expecting to much folks? Any honest guidance here? Tough to swallow a $600 software puchase on top of the $125 I already spent with Sony, perhaps I can file a bug with Sony since it's definitely not working in Studio Platinum but fixes seem to be quite limited. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tklieber View Post
    I have Movie Studio 9 (Platinum, Version 9.0b Bulid 92), not what you reference. However, the package clearly says "Edit HD" and has the features similar to the "10" version although I don't have a comparison tool to reference.

I found an FAQ on Sony ( Program hangs while rendering or during editing ) which is the closest I could find relating to my issues, and I've tried all solutions except the recommendation of dividing my project into a gazillion pieces.

I had another (undocumented here) problem that DVD Architect Pro ALSO fixed (downloaded that with Pro 9) - I just can't believe my 27 minute DVDs are pushing the limits of Studio Platinum, although that seems to be the case since the Pro versions resolve the isses without not having to do anything to my work. Am I expecting to much folks? Any honest guidance here? Tough to swallow a $600 software puchase on top of the $125 I already spent with Sony, perhaps I can file a bug with Sony since it's definitely not working in Studio Platinum but fixes seem to be quite limited. Thanks...
    You can use the upgrade path that should reduce the cost.

Try reducing the size of the still images and see if that helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I had the same problem. Everytime I rendered a HD video the computer crashed although rendering other videos in Vegas 10 worked fine. The answer was simple. My laptop became so hot during the rendering that it automatically shut off. Place a pile of football cards underneath the computer so air can circulate freely and this will solve the problem!