Thread: HELP! I need somebody! HELP!: Video Conversion

Default HELP! I need somebody! HELP!: Video Conversion

I am having a massively difficult time converting raw AVIs produced by FRAPS.

When I look at the AVIs, the quality is perfectly 1 to 1 as far as I can tell.

I was told Sornson Squeeze is the best converter out there so I gave it a shot. I spent the better part of a day going through all the filters that are usable by both AVID and WMM and I just cannot find a way to convert the files where I don't lose detail.

The scenario here is I am trying to put together a sales video for work and I am recording myself walking through a virtual grocery store where I pick up products. Before the conversion I can read text on the back of packages and all the wording on the UI elements is perfect readable; however, none of the filters allowed me to be able to clearly read these elements post conversion.

Is there any converter out there that will give me lossless quality in my video recordings?

Also, I am strongly considering switching to Premiere instead of Avid as trying to create digital video files of decent quality is extremely difficult with AVID. Does anyone know if the process is smoother with Premiere?

Thank you in advance!

Why can't you just edit with the .avi that was produced with FRAPS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Why can't you just edit with the .avi that was produced with FRAPS ?
    The AVIs will not open in either WMM nor AVID, otherwise I definitely would.

Quote Originally Posted by digital0verdose View Post
    The AVIs will not open in either WMM nor AVID, otherwise I definitely would.
    I would have thought avid would have easily opened up an avi file. Can I just ask what the frame size is of the avi file? because if it is not the norm such as 720 x 540 then it quite possibly wont be a recognised file. I dont usually work in avi format, but Im pretty sure the avi file must meet some criteria before being accepted as an editable video size, or is that the rule for an mpeg? maybe worth having a look at.

A good starting point for many video file compatability problems are
    a) Use GSPOT GSpot Codec Information Appliance to get more information about the video file.
    b) Be aware of the list of FOURCC codec at Video Codecs by FOURCC

The FRAPS FAQ at FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software suggests that the User may choose which Codec to be used when creating the AVI.

I believe the FRAPS codec is an almost lossless compression, but without the small file sizes often associated with more CPU intensive compression systems.
    If the file cannot be opened using existing software; then the only way to preserve the quality would be to convert to an fully uncompressed AVI file, all ready to be edited.