Thread: FCE and AVCHD probs

Default FCE and AVCHD probs

Hi, noobie question and I've searched the forum and there doesn't appear to be a specific answer to my problem.

Trying to import AVCHD from a Panasonic HDC-TM300 via USB into FCE 4 (PBP 15" 4GB RAM, 10.6.4) using Log and Transfer - FCE sees the files and I can drag them into the Queue window, I do get a 'files transferring icon' next to the dragged file and it says it's transferring but the progress bar doesn't move and after a minute or so, it tells me it's idle and nothing else happens. When I now click the 'files transferring icon' it changes to a Red Octagon which suggests a problem.

I've set up a project in the browser which is recognised in Log and Transfer.

As a work around, I can import onto the computer using iMovie and edit the files there and I can import the unedited imported iMovie files which are now .MOV files, however it's an extra step which is a pain and I'm not sure it there is a quality hit.

The properties of the .MOV file are that it has changed size from 90 odd MB to 1.1 GB, vid rate is 25 FPS, Fm size 1920 x 2080, Compressor - AIC Data Rate 13.9 MB/SEC - Audio is 48.0 KHz and 16 Bit Interger.

So is there a way not to have to go through iMovie and if there isn't does this work around have any quality hits by doing it that way?

Thanks

Issue now sorted, I had the wrong transcode codec set in the Easy Setup

Quote Originally Posted by antpix View Post
    Issue now sorted, I had the wrong transcode codec set in the Easy Setup
    I am having the same problem with a Sony Nex-5, recording in ACVHD, and editing with Final Cut Express 4.01. I can see my files in the FCE Browser list and view them with the Viewer, but I cannot import them. I get the same red exclamation point and an error message saying no data. The files I am trying to import have a MTS extension. I cannot open them with the latest Quicktime. I tried various codec combinations in Easy Setup, to no avail. Perhaps not all ACVHD files are the same. Which codec did you use?

Blog Entries

Make sure you have the latest updates from Apple. If you've registered your software you simply download the updates from apple.com

Don't try and import mts files, just log and transfer from your camcorder.

Thanks Rembrandt Rob:

I do have the latest update from Apple (FCE 4.01). I am using a still camera that records AVCHD to an SD card. It is a Sony Nex-5. Apple says it is supported by FCE 4.01, which I am using. I can see the files in the Browser list and view them in the Viewer. But I get the red circle and "!" when I add them to the queue. Any help much appreciated.

Ed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ziffe01 View Post
    Thanks Rembrandt Rob:

I do have the latest update from Apple (FCE 4.01). I am using a still camera that records AVCHD to an SD card. It is a Sony Nex-5. Apple says it is supported by FCE 4.01, which I am using. I can see the files in the Browser list and view them in the Viewer. But I get the red circle and "!" when I add them to the queue. Any help much appreciated.

Ed
    I seem to have solved the problem. After I updated the Nex-5 firmware from version 1.0 to 2.0 using the Sony site, FCE 4.01 worked straight away. I would have done this sooner, but the update is only available at this time via Windows PCs and I use a Mac.

Ed