Thread: Slow macbook pro

Question Slow macbook pro

I did take the plunge recently and bought a mac... keep hearing just how great they are and all that!

To my surprise and dismay it seems quite slow compared to previous computers. I've put this down to my lack of mac knowledge and therefore maybe not having it set up right, switching off unnecessary processes, etc.

Specs

macbook pro
    i7 2.66
    500gb 7200
    adobe CS5
    FCP studio 7

Any help from you friendly mac people would be appreciated

Mike
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    I did take the plunge recently and bought a mac... keep hearing just how great they are and all that!

To my surprise and dismay it seems quite slow compared to previous computers. I've put this down to my lack of mac knowledge and therefore maybe not having it set up right, switching off unnecessary processes, etc.

Specs

macbook pro
    i7 2.66
    500gb 7200
    adobe CS5
    FCP studio 7

Any help from you friendly mac people would be appreciated

Mike
    Well, that's not right! We have much slower older mbps then yours and they are all quite acceptable as video editing devices using the same software as u.

Perhaps you should post your process list. Also, what's slow? Rendering in FCP? Or everything. The more details on what seems slower the more that I (we) can help I think.

I've only seen slowness on rendering specific plugins, ie. Magic Bullet Looks and a few others. But that box you have should be snappy with the i7!

jigs

Thanks for the reply... and please forgive my mac naivety

This is a large leap forward in hardware for me as my previous laptop is a 5yr old Acer 8230 with an original core duo 2.0ghz processor, which has been upgraded over that time with 4gb ram and 7200rpm 500gb hdd, win7 HPrem 32bit.

The mac is a huge improvement in style and quietness, heat dispensation, battery life, and more, but there seems to be a pause before anything happens, maybe only a second, but long enough for me to think "did I miss the button?'

In windows I know to go through it and turn off things that I don't need like animated windows and menus, only install stuff if necessary, switch off start up apps, etc... I rarely have more than 40 processes running.

Having thought about it more the real question is, (I do apologise for not being so straight forward from the start) from an editing point of view mostly, is there a similar amount of tweaking that can be done to a MAC to get the best from it.

Thanks
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Interesting. I too switched from something comparable a few years ago, and it took me a while to realize that there is not much you can or have to do with OSX to tune it. It comes that way. Perhaps monitor your CPUs - I use istat menus - to see if anything is eating up cycles. when doing nothing, the CPUs should be do nothing. And then stop doing anything once you stop. R u on 10.6.4? you should be. And running system update should come back clean. update all the adobe stuff too, as it's mostly 64 bit now (but FCP is not yet). well, that's all I got!

Default Thanks...

Hi... and thanks for coming back on this. The mbp has been put through its paces today and worked well. It's a shame about having to render so much in FCP, I thought I'd left that behind when I moved away from using premiere some years back, and though FCP is impressive in most areas that does feel like a step backwards, compared to Edius.

Another thing that struck me is there are no visual or audible signs of activity a lot of the time, so this is something to get used to.

I'll accept that there's much for me to learn about the mac way of doing things....

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Hi... and thanks for coming back on this. The mbp has been put through its paces today and worked well. It's a shame about having to render so much in FCP, I thought I'd left that behind when I moved away from using premiere some years back, and though FCP is impressive in most areas that does feel like a step backwards, compared to Edius.

Another thing that struck me is there are no visual or audible signs of activity a lot of the time, so this is something to get used to.

I'll accept that there's much for me to learn about the mac way of doing things....
    Yes, I agree with you there on rendering! Even Premiere CS5 seems to have worked around all of that muck. I have the mac version of that, and use about 25% of the time. But u should try out istat menus. That will give you cpu monitors in the menu bar that shows any activity not shown by the cursor