Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Computer for hd editing

Default Basic Computer for hd editing

Im using my laptop at the moment for editing hd video but it takes 1hr 30 mins to render. Its 250 gig hdd and 3mb ram. I dont know anymore about it. I was thinking of getting a new computer, could someone point in the right direction of what i might need. I take it higher ram for a start. The render time is a killer, any pacific sites i could purchase from even,

If it has to be a Lap Top look for the most powerful you can afford. It is usually said that a quad core processor is best for HD editing. The disk speeds can be an issue with lap tops generally being slower than desktop hard disks. so look out for that. It's also good practise to run the media on a separate HD to the disk you have your OS and program on. This could help with the smoothness of play back and possibly rendering time. If you are running 32bit 3Gb of RAM is fine but if you have 64bit you can take the benefit of more RAM.

That's about the full extent of my knowledge on the subject.

3. Default

If you definitely want a laptop you should consider the new MacBook Pro. I haven`t used it yet by myself but I have seen positive feedback in many forums. Well, actually I don`t recommend laptop for video editing. You should pick a desktop computer - as powerful as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudolfkonimoisfilm View Post
    Well, actually I don`t recommend laptop for video editing. You should pick a desktop computer - as powerful as possible.
    I, on the other hand, would recommend a laptop for editing. It's something I've grown used to over the years. Yes, it makes perfect sense to use a powerful desktop, but more often that not I don't have the luxury of editing on a dedicated desktop. I much prefer the freedom that my laptop gives me.

Thanks for the help, im thinking of getting a desk top. I will try putting the file on a portable hdd and see how that go's

Was offered this, i know little about bits for computers

be 1,225
    Case - 130.00
    DVD Burner - 30.00
    500GB HD - 60.00
    Motherbaord - 82.00
    Processor 2.85GHZ i7 - 290.00
    Ram DDR3 6GB - 200.00
    Power Supply - 90.00
    Graphics Card ( Very IMPORTANT FOR VIDEO)
    ASUS GeForce GTX 285 1GB PhysX CUDA - 340.00

200 extra for a blue ray dvd burner

That looks good. If you can try and get a second HDD one for programs and the OS and one for your media.

Ill ask him about putting a second hdd in.....Thanks for the help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anto Modded View Post
    Was offered this, i know little about bits for computers

Graphics Card ( Very IMPORTANT FOR VIDEO)
    ASUS GeForce GTX 285 1GB PhysX CUDA - 340.00

Not strictly true. Depends on what software you're planning on running. If you're running Premeire CS5, you'll want a supported card (that card is suppirted according to the list here NVIDIA Quadro and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5). However, if you're running older versions and don't plan to upgrade, or are running other software, you might want to save yourself a few quid.

I uses adobe cs3 for photo editing, and movie maker and a Magik Movie Editor Pro 16 HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast