Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haunted

Default Haunted

Little film shot on my new Panasonic TZ10 compact. No messing with colour here its all raw footage straight from the camera (motion jpeg) Yes its dark but its s'posed to be a horror film

Edit: ok heres the re edit after tinkering.... added some extra footage and "scored" my own sound track..... easier than i had anticipated using VST's in cubase.
    this version rendered at 30 fps. seems to play smoother on youtube.
    please select the 720p option once the video starts streaming.

Re edit ............

Original .......

Last edited by enc; 09-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Dammit. I just deleted my review/comments.

So here we go again.

Nice! Good opening shot.

Lots of shadows, yet plenty of stuff still lit for us to see.

The shadow of the arm could have been made more of. It looked a bit like a glove on a stick to me. The shadow could have been against a more contoured background. That way although the movement of the "real" arm would be obviously slow, the shadow would appear to creap faster, weaving in and out of the contours like a snake. It's funny, before seeing your film, it had never occurred to me before that that is one of the clichés employed in horror. That's why I love analysing films on this forum. We learn so much.

The camera movement was generally very good but needs to be 100% steady/smooth. Slow pans across a static backgrouns show up even the tiniest imperfection in the movement.

I wasn't keen on the pan along the windowsill switching to a tilt. It was rather remininscent of amateur "hosing". Though I thought crash zoom out was good.

I liked the music in general but there were a lot of futuristic sounds which seemed a bit inappropriate to me - more sci fi than horror.

Overall I enjoyed it and will certainly watch more. I just hope you have a good story.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-13-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Tim

I watched the video before seeing who posted it. When I saw it was you it answered the question I had. You have a great eye for a shot. This was obvious from the very first shot of the stairs. Enough darkness to give it an eerie feeling but enough light to look good. I would say the same for all the shots as well.

The one thing I thought could be improved is the shadow of the hand, I would have liked to have seen it more defined, so you can more easily recognise it as a hand. I presume this was difficult to do without getting the hand in the shot.

I liked the video but smoother pans next time. I just saw it was shot on a compact, this may be why the pans are a bit off. I always like a heavier camera for smooth pans.

The only other comment would be to advise you to sack your house keeper. She is doing a lousy job.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

The only other comment would be to advise you to sack your house keeper. She is doing a lousy job.
    Midnight - not only have you managed almost to duplicate my post (but express it better) but you also managed to put in the line above, which I had put in my original post before inadbvertantly deleting it!
    Tim

Synchronisity or just spooky.

as ever, Stirling advice fellas

s'pose i'd better come clean ..... this project came about when i visited the empty farm house to take photo's before it gets demolished.

as i walked around, i was thinking how it would make a great location for a horror flick .....

the "plot" unraveled LOL

i had my tripod and DSLR (but that doesn't shoot video) fortunately i always have my compact camera to hand.

anyways, cut a long story short, i shot loads of video using the available light not knowing how it would turn out. For the subject matter I think it's passable for youtube consumption.

Im toying with the idea of returning to the farm to shoot some additional footage to actually fit a proper plot i have im mind, but with the impending demolition dont know if i will have time.

anyone got any comments on the sound FX ? this is my first attempt at adding them in Post production. OTT maybe ?

all footsteps, creaks, door openings, yells etc all free downloads from Free Sound Effects.

Tim, your right about the music, too many 50's scfi type noises going on ...... im working on my own music which will replace the current music track along with additional footage ....... watch this space.

edit......
    Last edited by enc; 09-15-2010 at 02:16 PM.

i wrote a long and detailed reply to both tim and MB but cant get it to post with the multi quote thing

9. Default

I watched your film last night & was going to say:
    Steadier pans & camerawork would have increased the sense of suspense & foreboding, & that the background music was more Dr Who than Tales of the Unexpected & did not heighten the spooky atmosphere like it could have.
    But it had already been said, so I went to bed instead.
    However I laid in bed too terrified to sleep (only kidding!), & thought if that was mine I would have written a little story into it & it would have really elevated it.
    Now I see that you are also considering it!

We've used a lot of free sound effects in our band recordings (no we didnt do all the screaming & smashing glass in our last video), so the neighbours still dont realise we're drug crazed rock stars.
    I have to admit I missed half the sound effects in your film on first viewing because they got confused with all the outer space noises going on!
    I find I nearly always need to use a graphic EQ or even reverb on them to get them to fit perfectly into the setting where we want to use them so they can be heard clearly but dont stand out like a sore thumb.
    Look forward to seeing the next version if you can get it done.

Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 09-15-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    i wrote a long and detailed reply to both tim and MB but cant get it to post with the multi quote thing
    I just cut & paste the bits I want to quote and wrap quote tags around. Works for me
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast