Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linkin Park - Wretches and Kings Music Video

Default Linkin Park - Wretches and Kings Music Video

Warning! Lots of flashing lights

Chaos. Uprise. Anarchy. This video was created with inspiration coming from the message from the new single "Wretches and Kings" from Linkin Park. I composed this video with the collaborative efforts of a couple friends of mine in an attempt to creatively demonstrate an underground voice of the people who are agressively demanding the need to take action and push towards working cooperatively towards regaining authority from the hierarchy of the government and wealthy who have heightened control over the world as a whole.

The principle theme of this video is the faceless voice of the people. I didn't want the faces to be completely visible so as to emphasize the idea of a concealed proletariat. I used thematic colours that I find acentuate and intensify the emotion of the music. Close captures, movement and facial expression are the elements I focused on the most in the development of this video; to create a piece that has an underground feel although still having pop-culture accessibility through the use of Linkin Park's music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actors

Sam Young

Justin Everest

Lydia Jenvey
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Software -

Adobe After Effects CS5

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Camera -

JVC HDD Everio
    Music -

Linkin Park

Song -

Wretches and Kings
    LP Site - LP // A THOUSAND SUNS // PREORDER

JE Site - Justin Everest | Blue Candy Productions

Lyrics:

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part; you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all" -Mario Savio

To save face / how low can you go
    Talk a lot of game but yet you don't know
    Static on the way / make us all say whoa
    The people up top push the people down low
    Get down
    And obey every word
    Steady getting mine if you haven't yet heard
    Wanna take what I got / don't be absurd
    Don't fight the power / nobody gets hurt
    If you haven't heard yet then I'm letting you know
    There ain't shit we don't run when the guns unload
    And no one make a move unless my people say so
    Got everything outta control
    Now everybody go

Steel unload / final blow
    We the animals take control
    Hear us now / clear and true
    Wretches and kings we come for you

So keep pace / how slow can you go
    Talk a lot of shit and yet you don't know
    Fire on the way / make you all say whoa
    The people up top and the people down low

[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/wretches-k... ]

Get down
    And I'm running it like that
    The front of the attack is exactly where I'm at
    Somewhere in between the kick and the hi hat
    The pen and the contract
    The pitch and the contact
    So get with the combat / I'm letting 'em know
    There ain't shit you can say to make me back down no
    So / push the button let the whole thing blow
    Spinning everything outta control
    Now everybody go

Steel unload / final blow
    We the animals take control
    Hear us now / clear and true
    Wretches and kings we come for you
    Steel unload / fire blow
    Filthy animals / beat them low
    Skin and bone / black and blue
    No more this sun shall beat onto you

From the front to the back and the side to side
    If you fear what I feel put 'em up real high

Visual art material copyright @ Blue Candy Productions / Justin Everest 2010 (Video Footage, Effects)

All music rights @ Linkin Park 2010
    Last edited by JustinEverest; 11-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.

2. Default

Wow you really take this seriously dont you.
    A radical message might need a radical video but you have to take into account the limitations of the human eye & brain.
    That video hurt!! So I turned it off & unfortunately missed the revolution.
    The little I saw looked interesting & uncompromising but you were probably hoping for more than that.
    Isnt it more of a fan video?

Sarah

I liked the message but couldn't watch the video. Maybe a younger person would appreciate it.

Blog Entries

I thought the video was pretty good, but like the music it totally failed. Why - it was aggressive and relentless. At first this was exciting and as Sarah put so well, "uncompromising".

But then it continued in the same mold and so after a minute (in my case, probably less time in others') it ceased to have any effect and just became background noise.

Truth be told, the video managed to progress somewhat more than the song - in the first 1.30 (I got bored after 1:45) when I was about to bail, you added something new to the mix.

I probably would have watched more if the music hadn't been so mind numbingly repetitive.

And I hate being shouted at. You want to get a message across in song, sing it or say it clearly.

As for the message - I had to laugh: "voice of the people who are agressively demanding the need to take action and push towards working cooperatively towards regaining authority from the hierarchy of the government and wealthy who have heightened control over the world as a whole."

Oh, to be young again! But in my day (OK a bit before) we were going to do it with flowers and love. And, of course the punk movement was going to do the same via anarchy (that was my day but I disassociate myself from safety pins)

Eventually you realise that one can never regain anything if one didn't have it in the first place.

The power over the system you have is expressed by the ballot box. Anyone "aggressively regaining authority" is replacing the process we already have in place with something far more flawed.
    Tim

guess you achieved your goal justin .... alienated the above three 40plus's from enjoying your music LOL!

not really my kind of thang (music wise) but i stuck with it to the end .... quite enjoyed it really

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    guess you achieved your goal justin .... alienated the above three 40plus's from enjoying your music LOL!

Nice analysis though not strictly true. In my case. If it hadn't been for the video I'd have listened to far less of the music.

It is a good creative video.
    Tim

First off id like to say that this video is not meant for everyone, especially if flashing lights can cause you any sort of Epilepsy etc.

See what i don't get is; why wouldn't i take this serious? its still consider art, its still work that i, my self, put quite some time into.

So i have a description that pin points the plot and goal to the video. Whats the harm in that? Why does it matter if i take this video serious or not? Would it have been easier for you just if i posted the video with no description at all?

If i'm not mistake,n this is a Fan User video forums page, where anyone can post any sort of creativity that they make. Now unless i am mistaken, and people can only post work that is extraordinary and with a budget of 100,000$, then please let me know. Ill be more than glad to post my "serious" work some where else.

Im just looking for feedback. Positive or negative. But some of the things people say is just mind boggling.

Now i do thank everyone that has watched the video. Even if its impossible for you to watch through the whole thing, i still appreciate the effort to at least try and watching it.

The only goal i have to achieve is to get it out to the people and hope they enjoy it. If they don't then they don't. Cant do to much there, which i can totally understand if you dislike the video.

Its weird, lots of flashing colors and may not make sense to half the people out there. But if your able to watch it, and understand some what of what i was trying to do then great!

Thanks again for the feedback positive or negative still feedback at the end of the day
    Last edited by JustinEverest; 09-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I watched it all, close up to a 22" monitor, in the dark, with the loud music going through my hi-fi. I suspect I may have got the full impact of the experience. I found many good points:
    - helpful explanation of the purpose and the lyrics (otherwise, I would not had a clue what it was about)
    - some weird effects (I like things like that).
    - Original footage (I prefer that to simply re-editing someone else's stuff; or use clips from computer game)

But. There are some things which I did not like:
    - Any message based on Savio's rantings.
    - clip is very long and gets boring after a min or two. It is repetitious.
    - faces of the oppressed masses appeared to be "happy" people simply nodding forward and backwards in front of a camera.
    - The overuse of AE effects.

Whilst I applaud the attempt to produce an arty clip with a powerful social message; the results do nothing to encourage me to vote Anarchist at the next election. Whilst a more solid production might sway a viewer's political opinions, a less than good production can easily easily damage a cause.

However, I found this clip a huge improvement on earlier ones. Congratulations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustinEverest View Post
    See what i don't get is; why wouldn't i take this serious? its still consider art, its still work that i, my self, put quite some time into.

So i have a description that pin points the plot and goal to the video. Whats the harm in that? Why does it matter if i take this video serious or not? Would it have been easier for you just if i posted the video with no description at all?
    Justin, I really don't understand where this rant is coming from. I cannot see anything posted by anyone which suggests you shouldn't or didn't take this seriously.

Sarah was clearly showing admiration for how seriously you take the subject, but perhaps you're so convinced that you're being oppressed that you don't recognise praise as being such.

Neither has anyone even hinted at a criticism that you posted the reasons or lyrics.

And you have had feedback. It's perhaps not from your target audience but it does seem to be consistent:

It loses it's initial shock value impact because it is repetitious.

Personally I think this is because the music doesn't develop, there's no real scope for the video to do so.

I'm sure Linkin Park fans will love it. If you'd done a similar (obviously different) video for "Kashmir" I'd probably love it 'cos I like that particular repetitive & relentless track (and whilst Percy wails quite a lot, at least he doesn't shout at me)
    Tim

Very interesting, strip away the effects and you have a very simply shot video, the post work had really pulled this into another place..well done.

Even on the very small screen this has a big impact.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast