Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constructive Criticism Wanted

1. Default Constructive Criticism Wanted

Hi everyone

I just recently became interested in video making. My first attempt was this school project:

I was looking to receive some constructive criticism before I begin working on something else. Before you watch, keep in mind that I made the entire project by myself (but got my sister to pan one camera shot), with only a very cheap camera and no tripod.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Agonized Candle; 09-09-2010 at 02:32 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Agonized Candle View Post
    Hi everyone

I just recently became interested in video making. My first attempt was this school project:
    YouTube - Solitude [my first attempt at making a video]

I was looking to receive some constructive criticism before I begin working on something else. Before you watch, keep in mind that I made the entire project all by myself, with only a very cheap camera and no tripod.

Thanks.
    Who panned the shot at 1:24....?
    Last edited by codda; 09-09-2010 at 02:31 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by codda View Post
    Who panned the shot at 1:24....?
    Oh that's right... It was so long ago that I made it I forgot, but I had my sister's help for that shot. My bad...

Thanks for posting your video. I'll make a couple of technical points first. The shot of entering the bathroom at 6:35 white balance ok. Then there is a nasty jump cut and the white balance has changed to yellow. Then you start shaving, then another jump cut and you start shaving again ! The a jump cut still shaving and another. Then you change POV which is fine but you then change POV again but this time the colour is different and it's all over exposed. Then you reach for the towel and the white balance is back to white. Then a really horrible jump cut as you take the towel and back to yellow.

Jump cuts don't work, use cut aways, point the camera at the mirror or the sink then back to you shaving. Keep your white balance consistent. This is important to keep continuity to keep the viewer in the story. There was plenty of other technical errors but I'll leave them for others.

As for the artistic element, It was long with a lot of unnecessary shots that simply filled up time. I know with this subject you where trying to create the atmosphere of solitude so it's a difficult balance of keeping viewer interest and telling the story. So try and make every shot say something. Now I know this next thing isn't easy when you are filming your self but you should have had some real close up lying on the bed and in the park there was to much shot from the same distance. A good rule of thumb but not fixed, is have an establishing long shot then come right in to the talent (actor) so you can see him act.

Don't get me wrong I thought you had some good shots, for example I liked the sun through the trees shot.

You did manage to get that agonising feeling of solitude so well done for that but I feel it was at the expense of viewer interest.

My last point is, a movie should have a start, middle and an end. Yours just finished without an ending making me think there is a part two. Which would make your movie just to long for it's content.

This may seem a harsh critique but I see you took the project seriously and thought you should have a serious critique.

5. Default

Thanks for watching and critiquing! I appreciate it

off the back of MBs notes I would also add that along with the White Balance I found the exposure a bit of a distraction. Theres a lot of changes throughout shots that vary from light to dark (walking in and out of rooms, switching the lights on and off etc). This tells me that the camera is set to auto expose and can cheapen the overall effect of a shot.
    You have already informed us that you are using a cheap camera so I'm guessing this may have been unavoidable in this circumstance due to the limitations of the camera itself?

As you progress, be sure to get to know all your manual functions. Not only white balance your shots but set a manual exposure so that it remains constant throughout. Purely as a starting point, zoom in on whatever the main focus is on a shot (for example, your face), auto expose, set the camera to manual to lock that exposure in place and zoom back out. You'll see the effects of exposure and get used to working with manual functions and encourage you to experiment/progress further.

Overall though I felt that it was a very good start for a first project, shots were well thought out and the piece as a whole sets a good foundation for future.

Keep length the short attention spans of society in mind. Watch your friends watching it, note where they begin to tire or get distracted as an indicator. From watching this though I think you have a good eye and will naturally develop your editing and storylines to accommodate these things.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    this may have been unavoidable in this circumstance due to the limitations of the camera itself?
    Unfortunately. I suppose I could've done more in post-production editing to improve some of these factors, even if the camera itself is fecal...

Thanks for the comments

Blog Entries

Whilst I agree with the comments and advice above from Midnight and Muffin (sounds like a good name for a show) I think it's worth mentioning that there's much to be said for this film.

You said it wasn't too serious, but it looked like you took it pretty seriously to me. I thought you captured the mood very well.

There was plenty of stuff I liked:
    The variety of shots - angles, static vs hand held camera etc. These were more apparrent where you clearly had more control over the environment. Try to expand on this to other locations.
    The close up of your face on the bed is a great way to get the audience to try to identify with you or see within your mind.
    I liked the scene at the beginning as you approach the house where we only get flashes of you in the dark, then a handheld wobbly shot of the house, cut to a static shot into which you walk. It's all very stylistic and creates an air of uneasiness.

Without wanting to make excuses for you, I thought the jump cuts and the uneven colour actually added to the mood. Maybe you could plan them next time

All in all I thought it was a very ambitious first film from a content point of view and I think you pulled it off. Well done.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Whilst I agree with the comments and advice above from Midnight and Muffin (sounds like a good name for a show).
    May be a very late show.

In my post I don't think I got across enough that I thought you had done well getting across the communication of the piece which is often lost with people as they are trying to get the technical side right and forget why they are doing it in the first place.

So well done for that.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Without wanting to make excuses for you, I thought the jump cuts and the uneven colour actually added to the mood. Maybe you could plan them next time

All in all I thought it was a very ambitious first film from a content point of view and I think you pulled it off. Well done.
    Thank you very much! The jump cuts during the shaving scene were definitely planned. I was trying to copy a tecchnique I saw on the movie 'Stay'. Perhaps I was being a little too ambitious there...

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast