Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian Weddings - Who does them?

Blog Entries

Default Asian Weddings - Who does them?

I've recently branched out into Jib hire for Asian weddings - and I'm truly amazed at the scale of some of these events. Pretty much evey one I've done has had between five and eight hundred guests and they are on an epic scale, and generally with no expense spared.

Compared to traditional English weddings they are very hard work too... hours and sometimes days of filming, with one firm I work for often giving a seven hour extravaganza on DVD at the end....

Does anyone else here have experience of them? It does seem a bit of a 'closed shop' from the point of view that they seem mostly to book Asian videographers, but honestly - I'm earning very well out of them and for you guys who moan that the wedding video market is drying up - you want to take a look at branching out...

I don't have any experience (yet) of any sort of weddings, but the thought of trying to creatively and comprehensively cover 800 people gives me chills.

How can you even start to plan how you will include that many people in the final edit, and if you miss people which you almost certainly will (?) don't they become offended?

Out of interest, and I am not looking for numbers, but how much more in percentage terms would you charge for an 800 person wedding compared to say a 120 person event?

I have done a lot of business with the Asian community and I know that all of the men I have dealt with are excellent negotiators, so I would be amazed if you could pro-rata your rates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    I don't have any experience (yet) of any sort of weddings, but the thought of trying to creatively and comprehensively cover 800 people gives me chills..
    Me too!

How can you even start to plan how you will include that many people in the final edit, and if you miss people which you almost certainly will (?) don't they become offended?..
    I don't believe anyone gets 'left out' - Frequently there are two teams of camera, one for the Brides family, one for the Grooms... and as I say - One company I work for will give epic length DVDs... I'm yet to see a finished product but the last wedding I filmed at had four cameramen in total... and still photographers too!

Out of interest, and I am not looking for numbers, but how much more in percentage terms would you charge for an 800 person wedding compared to say a 120 person event?..
    Because I simply hire myself and jib (or Glidecam) to film I don't make any distinction at all. I really just become another camera or two and hand the tapes over at the end and walk away. Happy days!

I have done a lot of business with the Asian community and I know that all of the men I have dealt with are excellent negotiators, so I would be amazed if you could pro-rata your rates.
    I hear what you're saying with the 'excellent negotiators' term! - But they will and do pay for quality and appreciate the work involved. The Sikh community in particular I've found to be very very nice people.

The jib shots must look incredible & have a huge impact on the finished product. I've been using a small USA crane for the last few years.
    Used the shots as stock footage for venues/Churches etc. Tried to get them all during the 4 seasons so I can pop a clip in to clients wedding DVDs to add a little wow. It works great!

It may be an avenue for you to explore Andy? Spend your spare time travelling round popular wedding venues building up a catalogue of stock shots and selling them to wedding DVD producers or even the venues.
    We've had a couple of venues ask for footage when we've been there requesting permission to film.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Very interesting notion.....

Just surprised you hadn't already done it
    It's a pain keep going round the major venues, I limited it to 6 of the regular ones within 50 miles radius.
    Only got as far as Spring and Summer and a few Winter ones, though depending on the framing some can be used all seasons.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Andy,

Just done a few !!

Totally agree, the affairs are quite grand , you have experienced it first hand on some of the shoots you've helped us with.

I think at lot of these guys have been in the business 10+ years and a lot of families tend to stick to someone who may of filmed one of their children's weddings a number of year's ago , it kind of just makes sense through this notion of loyality to explore these options first.

Hard work absolutely....it's quite an expectant market,everything needs to be covered, 7 hour videos etc.....There's quite a lot of religious ceremonies which share broad similarities across Sikh , Hindu and Muslim weddings and sometimes the language barrier may have an impact..

We trying to break that mould, eg, shorter edits ......hard work though, as again expectation is the perceived norm.

Andy see you at Park Lane.....get your good suit out !!

Gurdip

Last edited by Unomelodica; 09-21-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Smile

I do Asian weddings...believe me they are HARD WORK, but rewarding...

An Asian wedding is broken down to several days:

Manian (pre-wedding ceremony - normally 4hrs)
    Mehndi (another pre-wedding ceremony- again 4hrs)
    Baraat (Brides side...groom collects the bride, followed by a party, can be 4-6 hrs)
    Walima (The grooms side wedding party, again 4-6 hrs)

As you can imagine, alot of work goes into Asian weddings...followed by hours of editing, but is worth the experience

Blog Entries

Shaf - can you answer one thing that puzzles me somewhat?

Why is it that both families hire different crews? Virtually every gig I've done has had two sets of photographers and two video crews... what gives?

Hi Andy

It is because both parties hold their own ceremonies/parties...and they both want their separate videos/photographs. For example, both parties will organise a Mendi ceremony for the bride/groom on seperate days. Also there is no way a single crew would be able to cover both ends due to timings/workload, so it's best both parties hire their own.

How many such projects have you worked on? Any samples?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast