Thread: HELP-Amateur needs advice

Default HELP-Amateur needs advice

So I just started getting into editing and filming. So far, I film skating on my mate's compact camcorder (records to SD card), and edit on Vegas Pro 9.
    I'm looking at getting my own camera so I can get footage easily, and eventually get some more edits out there.
    My Budget? 200 ($250), maybe pushing 300 if I feel the need.
    I've looked into different recording formats, and decided that although the tapes look better, I want a camera that will record onto a card, or with a HDD (not expecting any of these in my price range).
    It needs to be able to record a decent quality, and be able to handle shaking and maybe a couple of knocks.
    ALSO, I need to be able to fit a fisheye onto it. I know there are ways of getting a fisheye using rings, but it'd be nice to have some threads.
    So that's about it.
    200-300, fisheye compatible, memory card/stick/HDD, decent quality, user friendly.
    Oh, and I have read up about manual settings, CMODs etc, so I do know a little about cameras. But I just need a point in the right direction
    Thank you so much for any help, in advance.

Just to make it more clear than I previously did, I'll be filming skateboarding, so I need something capable of a sharp, un-blurry picture. Thanks
    Last edited by EatSleepSkate; 09-06-2010 at 09:32 PM.

I can't think of any in your price range that will fit the bill the best I can come up with is the Panasonic HDC-SD60

Thanks How much extra do you think I'd need to spend to get something more fitting?

If you click on the link you'll see that the Panasonic HDC-SD60 is around 350

Blog Entries

you should think about getting a GoPro HD. And GoPro should definately give me commision! But seriously, a GoPro would be just the ticket for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Marc, but I'm looking for a more traditional camera, rather than a point of view cam. Do GoPro do normal cameras? I can't seem to see any on their site

Blog Entries

Simple answer no. Why do you want a "traditional" camera?

I find them easier to use and I prefer something thats comfortable to hold rather than something designed to fit on a helmet or a board.

Blog Entries

Canon FS100 is a bit closer than the Panasonic to your price range.
    Tim