Thread: Videographer needed for fun, hopefully published, April'11 Gloucestershire wedding!

Default Videographer needed for fun, hopefully published, April'11 Gloucestershire wedding!

Hi there,

We are getting married at Eastington Hall, nr. Stonehouse, Gloucestershire on Sunday 10th April 2011. www.eastingtonhall.co.uk

Were actually hiring the venue for the whole weekend as having our hen and stag do's there too!! ...Hence weve blown the budget to say the least!

Were both in our early thirties and have fun, relaxed personalities and hope this will reflect in our big day! My fiance is a met police officer who last week quit to open up his own restaurant, and I am an ex-professional published model, now housewife!

We are planning things a little differently to make it more fun (as weve both been married before so done traditional!)....a few examples are we are having dancing by the wedding party down the aisle to randomly different songs, discreetly explicit tablenames, dog as ringbearer, etc.

We are hoping to put the end result on youtube and are hoping to publish it in a well known wedding magazine amongst others.

We know its a long shot but we were hoping there may be a videographer or trainee etc out there who would be willing to film it for free/cheap but with guarantees/recommendations to have links&mentions on our facebook pages, youtube, the magazines etc?!

Apologies if this isnt the right place to post!

If anyone is at all interested, please do let us know!

many thanks and kind regards,
    mrst2b

My advice . . . Don't hire a trainee!!!!
    You're planning what sounds like an extravaganza, a zany and eye catching wedding that should be preserved (and enhanced) by a top quality video producer. Unfortunately we're busy, so you need someone like these guys
    Wedding Videos by Award Winning Videographer De Rienzo Films
    If you don't have serious coverage of an spectacular event like this you will regret it for a long,long,long time.
    I really can't believe that anyone of your calibre would skimp on the only real time memories you'll have left once the day is over.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Wow!

Bearing in mind that Zero is one of the best wedding videographers around, for him to suggest someone else it's worth taking note.

I agree though, De Rienzo really does have a great eye for original productions and his style would suite your wedding perfectly.

You're an ex-model so think about it... You get costumes made to fit, hire a top studio, get in top make-up people and hair stylists and then... get the kid from next door to take the pictures?

On some occasions you can say "Yeah, get a student to do the video" this is not one of those occasions. Honestly. We get a lot of students posting here. The theory is that students are creative, innovative and experimental, the reality is that they make a lot of technical mistakes and try to re-invent the wheel.
    We also get a lot of posts here along the lines of "I got a student to video my wedding and he made a mess of it. How do I...?"
    Getting a student to make a music video is often a good idea. When it goes wrong you re-shoot until you get it right. On a one-off event like your wedding where so much has gone into it, getting someone cheap would be a really bad idea.

Get another credit card and find 1k for a video, otherwise you will regret it.

Blog Entries

Mrst2be - I agree entirely with Zero - I know it's a stretch money wise (what isn't?) but your day (and weekend) sounds like a do and a half. I'm not punting for the job so my advice is impartial.

The main problem you'll find with a trainee or someone (generally) offering you a freebie is that they'll have little or no idea what to expect and therefore won't be prepared for what lies ahead.

Filming a wedding isn't just a case of rocking up with a camera or two and shooting thirty hours of footage. It's far, far more involved - for instance (and this is only one of many examples) - your guests will doubtless want to leave you video messages - will a trainee have the knowledge to make sure he has a decent microphone that the guests can use to give those messages, without getting sound levels so low they're indistinguishable from the background sound or so loud the mic distorts... and will a trainee have a decent light and enough battery power to capture those moments with? By the time people are oiled enough to get in front of a camera it'll be dark outside and inside your music will be so loud the videographer has to find somewhere to film them that isn't souless. Sounds easy doesn't it? It's not. And as I say - that's just one tiny element of a day that you'll want to preserve forever...

Do yourself a favour - dig deep, do your research and find a company that you can trust with your precious day.

Here endeth the sermon. Sorry - does sound very preachy but you need to know whats what.

And good luck with your day!

Some good advice above.

What i think seems to happen is that the client feels that a Camera in hand = Film Maker and we know this is no more true then then thinking a person with a pen in their hand is a writer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Some good advice above.

What i think seems to happen is that the client feels that a Camera in hand = Film Maker and we know this is no more true then then thinking a person with a pen in their hand is a writer.
    What a terrific analogy.

Totally agree, if its one thing I regret about my wedding day, its that I did the video myself.

Yeah you heard me.

OK, well I didnt FILM myself, I got 2 friends with decentish cameras to do it, but they knew nothing of framing, composition, lighting (come to think of it, neither did I) and despite having a lot of experience editing (hence why I did it myself) when I look back on the end results I think it looks total ass. At the time I (and everyone else who saw it) thought it was good, but now I have more weddings under my belt and understand a lot more about GOOD wedding videos, I am absolutely ashamed of the quality of work. Good job it wasnt for a customer.

Like you, I was trying to save money. If I could do it again, Id at least make sure it was FILMED right, even if I did the editing, because its nice to have that level of control over the finished product, but there was so much that the cameramen missed and you just cant go back and refilm that stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EternalImages View Post
    Like you, I was trying to save money. If I could do it again, Id at least make sure it was FILMED right, even if I did the editing, because its nice to have that level of control over the finished product, but there was so much that the cameramen missed and you just cant go back and refilm that stuff.
    I'm was in a similar position with a similar dilema. So I asked a very nice chap on these forums for a quote! I still want to edit the video myself, but I now know that I'm going to have tough battle to chose which shots to put in and where, rather than what shots I can salvage. I've edited lots of poorly shot footage over the years (what partly comes of mates asking if I can make their video watchable), and don't want my own wedding to be one of them.

It's the editing that can take so much time. As I can do this (yes, yes, others might disagree!), and more importantly want control over how the film is edited, I can save money by doing this myself. And because I know who's filming, I'm comfortable that I'll get exactly what I want.

Obviuosly not an option for everyone.