Thread: The best Youtube (Vimeo) music video this season

Blog Entries

Default The best Youtube (Vimeo) music video this season

Regardless of whether you like the music or not. This is, in my opinion, one of the best youtube/vimeo music videos I have seen for ages. Why? Because you can view it again and again, each time seeing something new.

Vimeo Staff Picks on Vimeo

Completely agree. Brilliant work!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

3. Default

Yes it's very clever, but I watched it & hardly noticed the music.
    As the song presumably came first & the video was meant to enhance it, something's gone wrong, the video has completely obliterated the song!

In my humble opinion this type of super clever music video is just like an action blockbuster packed with special effects & no story or emotion.
    Maybe if I could understand the lyrics I'd think different, but I'm guessing I wouldnt.

Allison

Yes very clever stuff. It's really what YouTube etc. was made for. I have realised what a video nerd I've become as I was looking at all the different shades of white at the beginning thinking they should have colour balanced their cameras.

How clever was the taking of the photos sequence and then the sliding on the chairs into each others shot was a nice twist. Yes Rob there is a lot to watch in this video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Yes it's very clever, but I watched it & hardly noticed the music.

As the song presumably came first & the video was meant to enhance it, something's gone wrong, the video has completely obliterated the song!
    Firstly I'd disagree the video obliterated the song. I've still got the hook going around my head five minutes after watching, so that's not the effect it had on me

And does it matter if it does? I'm sure we could all think of several music vids where it is the vid that is remembered rather than the song. I certainly doubt I'd remember anything of the tune to "Thriller" if it wasn't for the video.

Even if the video becomes the whole focus and the music becomes unnoticed, this doesn't necessarily mean something's gone "wrong". The music may not have been noticed anyway. It is only "wrong" if the commission is to produce a video which supports but doesn't eclipse the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    In my humble opinion this type of super clever music video is just like an action blockbuster packed with special effects & no story or emotion.
    I think it is no more than a celebration of lots of people coming together to make a fun project. And they are clearly having fun.

I think happiness is an emotion even if fun isn't

(I've just re-read your post - you didn't say this had no emotion, you said it was like a blockbuster which had no emotion so I may have misinterpreted.)

I enjoyed it. It made me smile. I've still got the sound of the song going around my head. If it hadn't been for the video I probably wouldn't have listened long enough to the song to get that. So I guess it worked for me both as a video and as a promo for the song.
    Tim

There was a time when music videos where made to promote the song, some people took it less serious than others. I remember watching top of the pops in the old days and being disappointed if they showed a video rather than seeing the band in the studio. Now a days things are totally different.

I think it was Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody that made a video because they couldn't reproduce the song live on stage so they pushed the boat out a bit on it. Now I'm talking in context of that time, it was something special even though by todays standards it's very lame. BUT it started a trend, until it got to the point when a Michel Jackson video would have a special release TV program. Bugles in a poignant way said it all with there song Video killed the radio star.

It has got to the level now where artists like Lady Gaga have massive satanic symbolism going on in their video where sex, nudity or violence has become the Norm.

This video is however, refreshing, innovative and damed good fun.

End of rant..... (sorry I've had a really bad day)