Thread: DVD Burning

Default DVD Burning

Hi Everybody

I'm new to video editing and I'm using Studio 9. I've completed two projects of about two hours length each. My problem is: Creating a DVD takes too long (More than 8 hrs). I'm not sure if this is normal or there is something I'm doing wrong. Please help...

(Rendering it to a file into the hard drive takes reasonably short time though)

pml:

I have found that rendering just is a patience area. I really feel that it has allot to do with how long your project is and what your make up of computer is. Obviously the faster the processor and higher the memory the better and speedier things are.

What I typically do is just walk away and let the computer do it's thing. I make sure that ALL other applications are turned off or shut down and wait patiently for the end result. Nothing is running except for Pinnacle.

You are right that going to hard drive vs burning direct to DVD is quicker as I have found this out as well.

Maybe someone on this board can give us a ball park time frame of how rendering should go and how long etc... For instance a 2 hour video will take XXXX number of minutes or hours to render. :

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Pml, I was debating how I would approach burning as well. In a couple of tests, I found that Nero handled one hour's worth of video in less than two hours. But I must have done something wrong because the result was not that good.

In your case, does saving to the hard drive and then separately burning to the DVD take less than eight hours?

Default render time

I have a 3.2ghz HT Dell and it took 4 hours to render a 150 min DVD using the most content selection under settings, and about 5 min to burn it. I burned it directly to DVD and it worked great. I would suggest doing this right before bed
    David
    Dell 3.2ghz HT, 512 DDR ram, ATI 128 Radeon Pro, DVD, DVDRW/CDRW, Win XP Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter

Maybe someone on this board can give us a ball park time frame of how rendering should go and how long etc... For instance a 2 hour video will take XXXX number of minutes or hours to render. :

Scooter
    A ballpark figure? 47.

it's ENTIRELY dependent on the pc and the software used, and the source material.

some stuff's easier to encode than others. some pcs are faster than others. some software is faster/better at encoding than others.

you can't put a ballpark figure on it.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables